cheapest possible health insurance

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by gman65, 16th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I need the cheapest possible health insurance for tax purposes. I don't plan on using it.

Who is the cheapest provider out there for the most basic absolutely nothing policy?

Jess Peletier likes this.
  2. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

I'm with Frank Health Insurance for this exact reason. Although their premiums have gone up recently I'd say they're still the cheapest out there.

3. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Some workplaces have corporate plans which pay for part or all of your monthly premiums. Worth asking your employer

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Why not just get one you might use?

Phantom and Bran like this.
  5. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Try Health Partners, or if you have a relative that has been in the Defence forces, Defence Health.

6. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Try the goverment website Search

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Make sure if you choose a really cheap health cover that the ATO will accept it to avoid the Medicare levy. Some considered "junk" policies aren't accepted.
    Marg

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

image.png
    CBHS is good, it's not expensive (It's not for profit) and I do use the extras. There is a requirement that you need to at least be:
    A current or former employee of the Commonwealth Bank Group (CBA), employee of CBA contractors or be in their extended families. I've posted an image from the website for details.

Which I think isn't difficult!

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2017
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Thanks, will have a look.. Had a bit of a look on iselect, looks like will cost around $100/m for me.

Unfortunately we have nothing like that. I don't work for a large company.

Well it's an idea.. But I have been to the doctor twice in the last 10 years for only minor things. Sure, not to say that couldn't change in future if something serious happened, but its not something I really am likely to use for at least the next 10 years. If it's very critical I know the public system works ok.

Sadly, no connection to commonwealth bank, but would be useful for many yes :)

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This is like saying you only insure a house because there is a mortgage over it and it is a requirement of the mortgage agreement that you must insure the house so you use a policy that is unlikely to pay out, but is cheap.

Why not pay a few dollars extra for something that will suit you if you do need it?

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Why do this ?

Why not pay what your supposed too and assist in making a decent public system ? Or a proper private system ?

And I agree with Terry, if your going to do it may as well be one that will actually be of use, or you will be left in the lurch.....

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

These policies are called zombie policies are generally cost little less than a real policy with real benefits like ambulance cover, private hospital bed and theatre. There is a prescribed minimum to meet the standards so take care - There are also policies that will NOT meet the requirements. You need to assess cost of the policy v's family cost of medicare levy surcharge if you dont have it. Eg a rubbish policy may cost $2K v's a real reasonable policy for $2,800 and it pays decent benefits...And the tax saving may be $5,000+....Its not just what the policy costs.

The Govt has a basic comparison site : Search

gman65 likes this.