Cheap ways to remove trees

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by eggnog, 17th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. eggnog

eggnog Well-Known Member

I have a site that has a lot of trees (mostly palms) of varying heights from 1 to 10 meters. It will cost many thousands for an arborist to clear so trying to think of cheap alternatives. Anybody given away established trees before?

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I would check with your council about the removal of trees and if allowed, it could cost you a whole lot more than the actual cost to remove in fines.

Otherwise, diesel, fire, poison, army tank.

Kis Kis and JKWS like this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Advertise them on gumtree.

TEH FREE PALMZ. TAKE AWAY FOR FREE!!!

Tifoso likes this.
  4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I tried to give palms away with no success. I have a property with lots of palms that is being demolished soon. I tend to get the demolition crew to quote to push the trees down too

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I hear that you may be able to relocate a termite nest with queen. This should make short work of it.

6. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Plenty of quotes. I have 4 large pines inbetween power lines. I had 5 quotes ranging from $2,500 - $ 7,000. Got a recommendation from a family friend for a bloke in Mt Druitt, he was licenced and did it for $700.

Try get someone who comes recommended or can provide references and will give a written quote. There are a lot of shady characters who will try extort you for more money after the jobs done i.e. normally the ones who come knocking on your door.

samiam likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If you can, lop the top off to kill them. They hold heaps of water and that's where the tip fees jack the price up heaps. Lop the tops and let them dry out then they'll weigh significantly less! Have you got room for a fire when they dry out?
    Otherwise gum tree if some other sucker wants them! :p

8. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

I hear explosives work well. Probably want to drill a hole into the truck to put them inside. If you just put them on the outside the majority of the energy will disipate to the surroundings.

9. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Consider yourself lucky that you can remove them. In parts of Morocco cutting/killing a palm tree can get you a hefty jail sentence.

The cost of relocating a palm tree can be as much as simply buying one from an advanced nursery. Finding a legit contractor who is willing to give you a written price would be the way to go.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you know anyone in prison?

Just write them a short letter & mention you "buried the victims under the palm trees".

The authorities will be around to dig them up for you soon enough.

Kis Kis, Gingin and Excalibur1 like this.
  11. Tim & Chrissy

@eggnog didn't say where this was, maybe it is an IP in Morocco and you've just saved him from gaol ;)

Chilliblue likes this.
  12. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I am looking for somebody like your bloke but in newcastle - quotes I got are massive 20k :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  13. Tim & Chrissy

I tried calling him for a job on the Central Coast, he didn't bother calling back so no chance of getting him to Newy!

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You guys don't have any islanders with chainsaws? Cash is king in the tree dept.

albanga likes this.
  15. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi Tim & Chrissy, any chance to have your tree guy's phone? will need it soon.

16. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Interesting you say that. ....few years ago i bought a property that was on a corner block with 22 palm trees. Yes you read correctly. 22. They were in the front yard and the back and on the council strip at the front and along the side.I intended to eventually get the removed as they are a pest. Dropping seeds everywhere. Bats eat the seeds then defecate on surrounding cars etc. One day I get a knock on the door from a Pacific Island church group who asked if I needed any trees cut down l. I though this may be a good opportunity so I asked for a quote. The lady said that particular Sunday was a special church day for them where they offer a cheap service to the community in the area and any money raised would go directly to the church to help raise money for charitable causes. So if I wanted they could do it for $2000. I agreed straight away. But I asked how long would this take as I only saw 2 other people in the van. She said by this afternoon it would be done. I knew this wasnt possible with 3 people but given the price I didn't care. As soon as I agreed, the lady got on the phone and in half an hour there were 15 people in the front yard, 2 trucks and a few chainsaws. It was an impressive sight.

Gockie likes this.
  17. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

that's pretty cool!!

18. Tim & Chrissy

Highland Tree Services, I used him quite a while ago, 7 or 8 years.

Attached Files:

Eric Wu likes this.
  19. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

Thanks mate

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  20. bez23

bez23 Well-Known Member

Ive got a property that has a lot of palm seedlings growing the in front. Thinking of going to bunnings to get some poison to just poison them off and not worry about removing them (letting it rot). Is this a good idea?