Cheap sound proof fencing

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by redchair, 28th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. redchair

redchair Well-Known Member

Hello all.

I have an IP on a main road. It was actually the first house I ever bought so I know what it's like trying to sleep there. It's noisy and it's opposite a T-section which see's high beam headlights shone directly at your window.

It also has a massive front yard (and back) being a 904sqm block.

I'd really LOVE to build an L shaped fence that was sound/light proof and think it would add to the value to the house provided I could do it on the cheap. Also, seeing as it is 1 big mac meal's walk from the local pub/shopping complex it would keep out the rubbish that blows down the street, hitting each fence line before getting caught in the whirlwind in my front yard. It could also help keep out the bogans that wander down around pub closure time and urinate in the front yard (yes, I am also one bladderfull from the pub)

I've thought about the colorbond fence solution, but I don't like that there is often a gap at the bottom and the panels are easily kicked in via drunk hooligans. I would love something cement based. Hard. Durable. soundproof.

I have included some pictures that show the front, and birds eye views complete with how close it is to the shopping complex. I drew some yellow dots to show where I would like the fence with an angled bit to maybe put a letterbox. It would create a nice front courtyard that I could landscape to give the house a little more appeal also.

The large pine, jacaranda, and the gum out the back will be removed when I secure the funds. The gum out the back is a liability as it overhangs the neighbors yards quite a bit.

If anyone can suggest a cheap-ish solution I could look into that would be great. I know it's going to be an expensive exercise and I haven't set a budget for how much I want to spend on this house yet but it's doing quite well with return and I'll be considering if it will help me get a higher return or even a better quality tenant (current ones I have to harass too often for my liking)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The most important question to start with is how high a fence are you allowed (within Council regs)?

Also, for maximum soundproofing, you should do a u-shaped fence or the sound will come in the open side. However, if you can only go to 1.5 or 1.3 if brick then the sound dampening may be less than you think. (I think there are probably calculators around where you can model this.)

Trees and hedges can help with sound dampening and light transmission.

For sound proofing, you could do a styrene building panel fence and render it. I saw this up the road from me recently on a house near an 8 lane highway. It was a 2.1 m high fence.

Or a lapped board fence with no air gaps for sound to pass through.

In Perth, I would think double brick would be the way to go, but would be pricey.

Last edited: 28th Jan, 2017
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Rendered (or painted) besser concrete block, as high as legally allowed?
    Marg

Joynz likes this.
  4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

+1 and grow ivy on it to stop the "artists"

mikey7, Marg4000 and Joynz like this.
  5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

This.
    If thats not allowed, murrayas.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also, are you going to DIY?

Concrete block walls will generally need to be corefilled and reo used - so needs to be added to the calculations.

You could use one of the mortarless concrete block systems, but still needs core filling etc.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't postulate as to what you think you can get away with - cheap is not a solution. Get an acoustic consultant and do some research yourself. The RTA used to have 'the smart house' on Pennant Hills Rd but there should be something similar now?

Linky
    Lanky
    Skanky

Have you considered turning the living areas of the house to the rear/quieter side of the block and having the garage at the front?

wylie and Joynz like this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Firstly, as @Joynz said it comes down to local gov regs re front fencing.
    Second, depends what you consider "cheap".

Not sure what the issue is with a bottom gap, its usually minimal, however considering budget, sound proofing, bogan/kick-in strength requirements etc I'd consider;

A: Buy some gal patio tube for framing and fix 12mm structural marine ply-boards to it (after painting/sealing).
    The boards generally come in 1200mm wide x 2400mm high, likely to high for gov regs (guessing the max permitted would be 1800mm) so you'll have 600mm x 1200mm off-cuts which perhaps you can use along the drive/elsewhere.

Cut on a 45 degree angle, face the cut edge up & out, this will allow moister to run-off the top edge rather than sit. Obviously don't have the timber touching the ground, mulch etc.
    If ya wanna get fancy, use a router to score some preferred pattern into the boards.
    Basically a cheap diy panel fence.

B: Timber lapped paling fence.

If concerned about graffiti there's a coating you can put on it so graffiti easily washes off, considering your location the local council "may" assist with this, as in the long run if you don't remove the graffiti they'll have to, as its on their side of the fence facing the public.

9. redchair

Thank you for the replies.
    I did inquire about fences when I lived there over 3 years ago. I can't remember but 1.8m sounds familiar. The neighbors fence that you can see in the front view looks shorter than it actually is (maybe the picture is stretched length ways). It's definitely over head height.

if I can avoid diy I will. mainly because of time constraints and the fact I've done just over 1000km in my car in 3 weeks traveling to the same area (different ip). It's a 85km round trip for me.

When I lived there I was entertaining the idea of reo strengthaned besser blocks. Mainly because I was always worried about someone coming right through that T section into my bedroom window!! You can even get nice split faced one's nowadays in different colours. They're a bit more pricey though and I'm not sure if the fancy pants ones are cheaper than a nice face brick. I don't really have a budget. it's just something I want to stay looking into and because I don't live there anymore I just want the cheapest yet most effective and aesthetically pleasing. I know that's subjective and will be something I have to balance up myself, I was just hoping to get some ideas on what was available out there and I'm greatly appreaciative of all the suggestions.

Has anyone got experience with those cement panels? The ones where you drop in a bunch of I (eye) shaped poles and slide them in?

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I don't think you can have all three!

11. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

What about old fibro roof sheets? Could be found at recycle depots. Can be buried in the ground with a capping on the top to dress them up, coat of paint, job done. Cheap, effective, and the courigation deflects noise. If one gets "damaged" simply pull it up and replace with same. Source asbestos free ones of course. ;)

12. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Have you considered double glazed windows at the front of the property to reduce noise?

I'd also plant something behind whatever fence that you put in that will grow higher than the councils legal fence height maximum.
    You could use multiple pencil pines (or something similar). If spaced correctly, they will in a few years be an additional hedge like barrier higher than the fence.

13. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

20170129_092511.jpg Regarding the pencil pines,
    Here is a pic of mine I put in along a side fence approx 3 years ago to help give me both a little more privacy & less noise.
    They are now already significantly taller than my 1.8m side fence.

14. redchair

I'd definately plant something there that grows up higher than the fence. the pencil pine idea is great! Because that massive monstrosity pine has to go (ruining the roof) I'd also have to consider something that provides a bit of shade to the house. I was thinking an L shaped fence to provide a bit of a court yard area in the front. it's quite a big area, bigger than most back yards. You can see a previouse tenant parked a massive bus there with room to spare.

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If that's in Perth it's pretty hard to get permission from Council for a solid front fence anymore - but sometimes they allow it on main roads. They want passive surveillance from the house to the street. Mostly they allow 1200mm high solid then 50% visually permeable up to 1800mm high - so slats etc. Talk to your local council again and get the low down.

Brick would be your most durable fence and probably end up costing the same as those concrete panels ones. Then I would grow Bouganvillia on it for extra height and thorns :)

16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Check with council, explain your concerns, enquire if they (of yourself) can place some bollards in the verge.

17. redchair

oh I didn't know that about visibility. it makes sense though. I'll definately double check again, it's been quite a few years since I originally enquired. It's a really busy road, and just gets worse every year so I don't think they'll have an issue. lots of high fences along there and those guys are not opposite the entry into a busy estate like this place is.

Thats a good point too. I wonder if I can talk then into footing part of the bill for a fence :) I doubt it.... I'll definately express my concerns and see if they can offer anything. cheers

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If there isn't a history of accidents and actual bad behaviour, then I don't think you have a hope of getting anyone to put bollards there or pay for part of a new fence. Why would they?

However, Council could consider traffic calming measures such as speed bumps etc if there is a lot of speeding in the area. Especially if other members of the community feel the same way.

What is the speed limit on the intersecting road and on the road the house is on?

19. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

They def wont coin up for fence, even tho they own the verge (neighbouring property) and expect you to maintain it for them.
    Been down that track myself with a long side fence adjoining a pedestrian access way, which is prob a lot worse than yours re antisocial behaviour, bogans kicking it in, graffiti etc.

Re bollards, "Perhaps" make them aware of your concerns in writing, if they don't act then something happens down the track....

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Given that the OP has provided no evidence that the house is in any real danger, it would be a bit rich to go down the route of trying for bollards!

The main issue seems to be light and noise.