Cheap Bathroom Touch up

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Timwest, 5th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

Hi Guys and Girls,

Looking at an IP that has a pretty dated bathroom.

Does anyone have any ideas to do a cheap touchup spending around 1-2k if possible.

I think it would be worth doing as will increase rental yield.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is there a shower screen? I assume that's a shower in the front corner

What are the walls behind the bath?

3. Timwest

Yep thats a shower at the front - no screen just a curtain rail, maybe I could put a screen in.

Not sure what the walls are haven't been to see the property in person yet.

4. Timwest

Heres a better picture of the shower

Attached Files:

5. bob shovel

Depending the size you might be able to get an off the shelf type shower screen if you're lucky.

A curtain or something to cover the window perhaps.
    The vanity looks new but small and pokey, see if you can squeeze in one bigger. Find one off gumtree if you can.
    Tile the area behind the vanity, some colour or patterns to draw your attention away from the other walls.the walls look like the plastic stuff.

Timwest likes this.
  6. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

What are those walls in the shower and the bath? I'd say you need tiling to at least 1.8m in the shower and a couple rows around the bath. Get rid of the curtain rod above bath. Put framed screen on shower. Can probably get away with vanity as it is.

What's the flooring like?

7. bob shovel

im not sure if tiles will adhere to that plastic wall. i just looked at photos on laptop - its the plastic stuff. If you remove it you will need to re sheet and then tile. could get expensive unless you can diy?

8. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why do you want to do a cheap tart up? More rent, revaluation?

If there is any chance (or need) you will do a proper renovation in the next few years and doing so will improve rents, then I'd leave it alone now and save your "tart up" money to spend on a decent renovatio. When you are ready.

If it is not in line with the quality of the rest of the house and is holding back your rent, then maybe bite the bullet and redo it now, properly.

If the rest of the house is a similar quality maybe just swap out the small vanity for a nicer one that doesn't look so tiny and lacking in storage and bench space.

It will depend on the quality of the rest of the house and your future plans which way to go IMO.

Chabs, Gingin and bob shovel like this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

11. bob shovel

There goes the budget. Just leave it in

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Maybe it's possible to do some funky paint job over top - if it doesn't come out as expected, it was meant to be like that.

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I had a bathroom that looks almost identical to that.... except it was green (same materials - asbestos)

I'm guessing it doesn't have an actual toilet in there does it?

I completely redid mine - changed the layout and added a toilet and made the window smaller.

I rotated the bathtub 90 degrees but kept it in the corner. moved the vanity in the spot where the current bathtub meets the shower wall.

Put a toilet where the shower wall is.

Alternative option was the lose the tub and put glass shower screen in its place.

Wasn't cheap, but it was done as part of an entire reno, so i don't know the exact costs. But guessing it would have been around $10k.

Azazel, wylie and Gingin like this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you already post pics of this one?
    How much did it cost to remove the asbestos?
    I've got one of these to do soon as well.

15. Timwest

Its not really in line with everything else, its the eye sore of the property. I think I will just try rent it out as is and if not successful bite the bullet and get it done properly.

No toilet is separate. Would love to see some before and after pics if they are available.

If it is Tilux, from my small amount of research it might be hard to get the tiles to adhere to it. I can DIY but maybe not if it was something thats going to be that difficult.

16. eek

eek New Member

That entire bathroom is most likely lined with asbestos materials given the age of the place, whether its tilux or plain asbestos fibro sheeting on the ceiling and rest of the walls.

One can remove up to 10sq.m of asbestos without a permit if you followed the precautions. A bit of common sense and body suit, quality respirator, plastic wrap, tape off the working area, water spray, pva spray, wet cloths for cleanup etc unless you have a proper vacuum, don't use your household Dyson.

There are a few documents online telling you how to do it. It's funny because it's so heavily regulated, yet when you take it to the tip to dispose of it, they just run over your carefully wrapped and labeled bags with a giant D8 dozer, smash everything to 1000 pieces then bury it in a hole.

If you didn't want to remove the existing sheeting, you could probably sheet over the walls with villaboard, fixing them directly onto the frame. However, be aware by the time you tile it, you'll lose around 20mm from the thickness of the board, tile, tile adhesive, etc.

17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Before and after pics of my bathroom

Attached Files:

18. bob shovel

I prefer the first one:p
    Looka awesome!

What did you do with the old bath? Depreciator might want it for his next airbnb pad

neK likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That looks really good.
    Did you do much of it yourself?

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Azazel - I didn't do any work myself. Paid a builder to do it. As for costs, no idea. It was bundled up with a whole bunch of reno work.

Azazel likes this.