Cheap A*# Kitchen Renos

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kassy, 4th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,

We(I) have been planning minor cosmetic kitchen updates - new cupboard doors and handles, new bench top, new stove, oven and rangehood, new flooring. Our current kitchen has peachy/claytons marble laminate bench tops, lemony doors with plastic handles and brown wood laminate floors, cheap stainless steel oven and stove and old plasticy rangehood. The kitchen was actually only about 18months old when we moved in(except the rangehood) and besides being out of date when it was installed it's in pretty good nick (the oven sucks). We have the money to do this but we could use the money elsewhere.

I'm now watching Cherie Barber on channel 10 doing a cheap and cheerful Reno mostly involving vinyl paint on doors and bench tops and I'm wondering whether it's the way we should go? It is our PPOR but we plan to be here 3-5years and then it'll be an IP or sold. Has anyone done this kind of cheap a*# job? How did it wear?

Thanks,

Kassy

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I've never seen painted bench tops work out well long term, but I've had people tell me they've had good experiences with it.

On the other hand, I have seen painted cupboards look fantastic! I remember being skeptical while I watched my client and his girlfriend painting them on the floor, but they turned out great! I've also seen it done professionally, once I didn't even realise they were painted for days.

Kassy likes this.
  3. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

The last L shape kitchen we did I think a new laminate bench cut & mitered was sub $1k, we got new cupboard doors and end panels, again less than $1k. I installed new hinges to mount the doors and being an L shaped kitchen I was able to get the bench out with out damaging the tiled splashback.

It wasn't the most amazing job but lifted the room enough to help get a decent sale price. I wouldn't stuff around painting, i did it once with ok results but for the ability to get new handles and hinges, perfect colour, etc... i don't see it as worth the effort.

Kassy likes this.
  4. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Don't paint vinyl.
    Wouldn't listen to cherrie either.

Kassy likes this.
  5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Yep, I've been thinking about it and will replace the doors and bench top as originally planned. Thank you all for replying!

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We've painted a few times with good results, but it was for the sale of a property, not to keep. If keeping it, I think I'd replace.

Kassy likes this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Investigate re-laminating the bench tops. Painting is fine for the cupboard doors, they don't take much wear.

Years ago our kitchen was still in good condition but very outdated. We got rid of the old yellow laminate bench tops by having new laminate glued straight over the top of the old by a tradesman. Cupboards were timber so we painted them ourselves.

Went from bright yellow laminate bench tops with dark stained timber cupboards to soft grey laminate bench tops with gloss white painted cupboards. Didn't cost much and made a huge difference.

Did the full Reno about 10 years later.
    Marg

8. Nattl3s

Nattl3s Well-Known Member

10 years ago I painted over a huge expanse of 'fake wood' ugly laminate that was the wall of the kitchen counter that faced into the lounge/dining room of my townhouse. I primed it with special paint then painted it the same colour as the rest of the walls. Still looks fantastic but of course its a wall so doesnt get any 'wear'.

Kassy and Marg4000 like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

We did a kitchen freshen on one of our old rentals. New appliances, benchtops and gloss doors (prev stained). New lights and fans and added an extra cabinet.

- Laminate not stone. Rolled edges to avoid tenant damage to edges.
    - Decent cheap appliances (major brands not cheap imports with no avail parts)
    - We repainted doors in twopack by a cabinet maker. Durable to wear. He acid bathed at little extra cost to ensure a good bind. Re-screwed using same hinges. I recall 2-3 were replaced.
    - Added a microwave shelf and microwave to leave bench free
    - Added a dishwasher in place of range with bench over top and installed wall oven in place where cabinet were designed for it (look for gap behind cabinets)...Increased benchspace by 50%
    - Added wider bench for sit down meals in kichen
    - New splashback and tiles around bench edges (prev a laminate strip)
    - Extra powerpoints

Basically took a weekend. (Two actually as doors were done during week). Full cost was just over $1.5k + appliances. Sparkie came at start and installed plugs and switches so he didnt need to come back.