Changing your name

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Yadreamin, 22nd Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Meisterin

Meisterin Well-Known Member

I changed my name 20 years ago. Just went to Birth Death & Marriages and paid about $100. Then certified about 10 copies and posted them to ATO, banks etc to have my name changed. No email in those days and I didn't have my drivers licence then. Every now and then mail would pop up in my old name and then I would get another certified copy and post it. Took about 2 years to have everything changed because you can't possibly notify every institution unless you have record of all of the institution that you gave your name out to.
    Also you can only change your name ONCE a year. If you want to change to another name you have to wait 365 days. Hence I didn't change my name when I got married-too much hassle the first time.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Had a client who changed his name by deed poll to - ""X"", Yeah.
    The ATO refused to recognise it as it consisted of one charecter. Apparently there is some obscure Commonwealth or common law which prevails over state law somewhere. He had to change his name again. He was so piffed but it made no sense. A waanabe.

Changing name is no longer simple. Its really difficult as it was being used to mask terrorist and criminal matters. eg You could lodge three years of tax`returns and change your name and after 3 (2 could be amended) they would update and give you a change when you hadnt done so legally !! The name change also impacted Centrelink so you could claim another pension or get two TFNs etc :eek: ATO didnt know but even ex-con in the country knew you could hide your identity that way. Birth Death & Marriages also now have tracability on changes so people can no longer lose themselves through a name change.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Professional awards cant be altered eg a degree, diploma etc. The degree is conferred at a time and cant be altered. Hence why most professionals will use two names or just stick to the professional name.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That's probably not a big concern. I know some women simply don't want to be called by their former married name going forward.

They can take their degree off the wall.

Me... I'm too lazy to contact all those companies. I'd probably keep the married name, but I guess that is up to the person going through it.

Paul@PAS likes this.