Changing your name

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Yadreamin, 22nd Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

Hi
    Whats involved in changing ones own name.?
    I have property, shares, super , vehicles, insurance , the usual suspects
    Is there a considerable cost in changing your name?
    Its there a time frame for the change to take legal affect?
    Thanks in advance for any advise given
    Cheers
    Yadreamin

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

What are you going to change it to?

Robert Zimmerman and Reggie Dwight, or maybe Alicia Moore or Stephani Germanotta, whilst not well known, could cause issues when staying at hotels.

And Sam Sung or Chris P. Bacon might not be great choices either, as opposed to Ya Not Dreamin...

Cousinit and Barny like this.
  4. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

Thanks Propertunity l will have a good read of that. I posted here with the thought that someone may have changed their name and could share some info.
    Cheers
    Yadreamin

5. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

I am looking at just changing my surname for personnel reasons.
    No, none of those catchy names you have suggested are for me .
    Cheers Yadreamin

Ted Varrick likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you really want to remove your current surname? What does your family (parents, siblings) think? Will that upset them?

Is your surname a funny one that makes people smirk? Or linked to someone (related or not) with a bad history? Or you want to get away from family?

Is it possible you can shorten or modify your surname, or use your middle name for meeting anyone through work going forward, without having to alter everything required with a name change?

My brother changed his name (wiped out completely, started fresh but his new surname was just the old one with a few letters removed). It upset my mother tremendously, because at that time she hoped he would wake up to himself and try to be a decent person. That didn't happen.

It took us years to get used to calling him a different name. He'd get very snarky if we slipped up. Now we don't see him at all, and that's great. ;)

Apologies for a little ramble, because it's none of my business and if you do want to change your name, then people who know you as one name getting used to calling you by another name would (in my own experience) be hard, but after a while it gets easier.

When woman marry and choose to take a new surname, people get used to it soon enough.

Attached Files:

7. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

hey Wylie
    Thanks for sharing that.
    There is a couple of reasons that l wish to change my name.
    Wont change my first name and l will probably be moving interstate at the same time as the name change so that's not a big deal.
    Funny thing, those who have known me all my life still call me by my maiden name anyway.
    There is no parents or siblings left to worry about. cannot really think of anyone who would be upset about a change.
    Cheers
    Yadreamin

wylie likes this.
  8. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

Hi,
    As far as I know you can change your name at the Court House very easily. You will need your birth certificate and marriage certificate. Fill in a form their staff will take details of your forms and send you back an amended birth certificate, which you then use to change your name on your identification, accounts , investments and utilities. I can't tell you the cost if any that various companies will charge to change your name but the cost at the court house isn't much.
    I had to do a change of name before I got my passport, because the name I am known by( and everything is in) is slightly different to my birth name eg I use squeaky wheel but birth certificate said squeak wheel.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You can just change your name via deed. But the issue these days are the ID checks so the name change has to be registered and then you need to change everything over. Credit reports will generally be linked but some fall through the cracks.

Many bankrupts change their name. Helps if they are googled too.

charttv likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea to change your name if you intend do some business venture such as:

A bungee jumping business run by Hugo First

A niche plumbing service by Sue Ridge

A weight loss clinic by Anna Rexic

A muscle building gym by Anna Bolic

Or write a book called Yellow River by I. P. Daley

The list is endless.

craigc, Empire and Kassy like this.
  11. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

Thanks datto your on the ball this Sunday arvo

It actually seems to be a fairly straight forward exercise. I am quite surprised.
    I am most likely just changing to my birth name so that's even easier.
    Not going to cost as much as l thought either.
    Just trying to get clarification on what l would have to do regarding the property documents and if l would have to pay to have my name changed on those.
    So far l am reading that as long as l have the birth and marriage certificates l am covered. Previous and current names can be legally proved.
    The main one to change first is drivers license because that is used most as proof of identity.
    Please correct me if l am wrong.
    cheers
    yadreamin

datto likes this.
  12. wylie

Do you mean changing from a married name back to a maiden name? I thought legally I could still use my maiden name if I so wish (but I'm not sure).

But everything I do (loans, power, telco, banking etc) is in my married name so I guess if I wanted to book a flight I'd have to use the name on my passport.

A friend has gone back to her maiden name so if this is the same situation, I'm happy to ask her whether she had to get new passport, etc.

13. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a major hassle changing your name. Why bother if it's going to cause a major hassle with everything?

Changing names on property owned - wonder if there's going to be any stamp duty or CGT issues as the names on the title will change.

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No as there would be no change in legal or beneficial ownership.

15. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

Sorry for the slow replies as l work remote and comms are hit and miss.
    Yes wylie l will just change back to maiden name. The way l read it is yes you can just use your maiden name because we never went through a legal name changing procees when married. Just show the marriage certificate as proof. So its best to show birth certificate to have license changed first then that can be used as id. Any info you can provide from your friend would be much apreciated.
    Cheers
    Yadreamin

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Changing name has many issues. We regularly find client rock up with a marriage certificate issued by a priest, celebrant etc. Its not the correct document in many cases as the state cerificate may be required. If a DL is changed to the married name its not that simple to revert to the maiden name. This was a ID rule adopted nationally as many people were masking convictions by reverting to former names. Reverting to maiden name may require a divorce document or you may need a change of name certificate issued by state birth death marriages.

Changing name is hard work these days. And with identity verification systems and cloud licenses being rolled out (eg MyGov ID) its why the process is even more rigid.

Had a client gender change issue a little while back and apparently that is even harder. You have to be careful ALL identity changes are made or there will be a fatal mismatch somewhere. The ATO was one of the easiest.

17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hopefully your maiden name wasnt Trump or Milat, otherwise, hopefully, it should just be admin issues you have to deal with...

datto likes this.
  18. Yadreamin

Yadreamin Member

Hi wylie
    Did you ge
    Hi wylie
    Did you get a chance to speak to your friend regarding name change and what they had to do for it to take effect?
    Cheers
    Yadreamin

19. wylie

Sorry, forgot. I'll ask her now. Give me a prompt if I don't follow up (again).

20. wylie

My friend said she got copies of her divorce papers and a birth certificate and got them witnessed by a JP as originals. Best to wait until passport is about to expire as that is expensive.

I asked if she could leave other things (power bill, bank account etc) in married name and just start using your maiden name and she said no, they have to be formally changed with the above-mentioned JP documents. It's best to get a bunch of photo copies, get an obliging JP witness all the photocopies as each place will request signed copies of the originals.

She said it was a very painful process and why she would suggest women don't change their name when they marry.

Joynz likes this.