Changing PM

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Gruber, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes, just edit out the shafted or whatever it was part, it is civil and a business letter.

Yes, the trouble often starts or gets worse with notice, but he is asking to change the notice period, I can see them pushing back on this possibly.

Yes, people start to bad mouth sometimes, it is more like a school yard at times than business arrangement, it is amazing how low some will stoop.

Just ignore it & stay on message and business like, avoid getting dragged into childish arguments.

2. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

They can get away with it because I missed that line when I skimmed over the contract, so technically it is my fault.
    Probably should not use the word "technically" - just throwing it in there to make myself feel like I am not entirely at fault lol.

3. Anthony Brew

So you think remove the light blue part below?

Hi xxxxx,

As you know, I was burnt by my experience with my last agent, and it cost me thousands of dollars.
    As a precaution,
    I would like to change our contract to a 14 day notice of termination period instead of the current 90 days.

This is in no part due to any dissatisfaction with you and xxxxx. I have been very happy with both of you and I have no plans to leave.

I am happy to make this change 3 months from now if you prefer - as I said, I have no plans to actually leave - it is just for my own assurance.

Regards,

4. dabbler

Yes. IMO.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  5. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd remove any emotion and just go with I would like 14 days instead of 90. It literally takes less than an hour to get a file ready, once a client decides they're leaving there's really no need to hold onto the file for 2 weeks - let alone 3 months.

I wouldn't say it's common, but it happens. Often I will get "good luck" and have found in most cases of this the client is actually great and the old agent didn't like people chasing them. Fun fact, if you do your job right you'll rarely be chased.

6. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

Wow that PM obviously doesn't own and investment property and has no idea of the costs involved. They probably still live at home with parents who foot all the bills.

mikey7 likes this.
  7. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

If you are not happy with the service, contact the principal and bring it to there attention, then if still no change in the management style change PM's immediately. Search a PM that is local to the area, has investments of their own as they have a better understanding of how you would expect your IP to be looked after

8. Anthony Brew

Hey @Xenia, @dabbler, could I get some input?

I sent this

I would like to change our contract to a 14 day notice of termination period instead of the current 90 days.
    This is in no part due to any dissatisfaction. I have been very happy and I have no plans to leave. It is a precautionary measure due to a bad experience with another property manager.
    I am happy to make the new contract to be dated for 3 months from now if you prefer - as I said, I have no plans to actually leave - it is just for my own assurance.

Regards

And got this reply

<Principal> has informed that he is happy to reduce the notice of termination period to 30 days.

Kind Regards,

How do I say "no, 14 days" in a way that is not rude?

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've spoken to other property managers and they have informed me that a transfer to another agency (should it ever be necessary) can be arranged in less than 14 days.
    I would really like to insist on 14 days.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  10. Anthony Brew

Thanks very much for that @Xenia

Xenia likes this.
  11. dabbler

I would just say 30 is standard and is not ideal and would like you to re consider 14 days, as that suits me better and I am not wanting to change PM over this particular thing.

Or some other suitable wording, you can give them your reasons if you like.....

If you had 90, going to 30 is not a bad compromise if you are happy with them.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  12. Anthony Brew