Changing name on Land Title

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by FairDune, 31st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FairDune

FairDune New Member

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I hope this is not a repeat question. I performed a search and did not find matching threads for this.

I have recently had a name change certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (NSW). I am aware that I need to apply for a name change to Land Title - the following links have some useful information and resources.

- http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/25551/10CN.pdf
    - Changing my name on my title - Land and Property Information

The problem I have is: I cannot seem to find appropriate information to fill up the above form (10CN) based on my Title document issued when I bought the unit.

The question I have is: Can this be done without engaging a legal firm? If so, do I need to access the paid Land and Property title information in order to fill up the form?

2. FairDune

FairDune New Member

Posting this info I got today - in case it helps someone else in the same situation:

- If you've changed your name, you don't need to effect a change in name on Land Title (through Land and Property Info - LPI) immediately, because it would cost a lot of money.

- If you transact in the future i.e. buy/sell/borrow more - you would need to have a statutory declaration done which states "you're XYZ but were ABC before the name change". That way, the original Certificate of Title which the bank holds can be obtained by the conveyancers and LPI can be approached with a name change at that time. You can get the stat declaration immediately or when you sell/transact.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No need to use a lawyer. If you can't find that information just purchase a copy of the certificate of title - you may be able to get the info for free on the LPI website too.