Changing induction to gas, replace bathroom cabinet and outdoor area stairs

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Never giveup, 28th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hi Team,

unable to find the similar thread hence starting new

In our new home we have Induction and vendor did the kitchen renovation in 2017 and we have been using it for nearly 2 years but we always like gas.

Before I go out to market, I wanted to ask if any users have converted induction into Gas or vice versa and why (pros/cons)...with potential cost.

Thank you everyone, hope everyone is ready to enjoy weekend (users from VIC - stay strong).
    I will be conducting solar rebate search.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Does the property currently have, or previously had a gas connection ?
    Everyone hates the idea of gas (over coal) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw3siJk3k4oQQv_fhtzHhRzi&cf=1
    Then there's the health issue's/asthma https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1s6XB8NcTio1BRnHfIjCvA
    I've found induction better at every task, excluding using a Wok, and we rarely use a Wok (if we do it's on the gas bbq outside, 2-3 times a year top's).
    The additional supply charge for a gas connection (and additional use) just isn't worth it (if you don't have a current connection) to save a few seconds.
    I'd suggest buying a better induction cooktop, ours has 2x 15amp plugs/supply, beats a plug in electric kettle or gas easily ;)

wylie likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are considering moving from gas to induction because Iā€™m sick of the cleaning involved with a gas hob.

With our development we put in gas after asking local agents. There is gas in the street but we were told the pressure was too low for the extra households. This way, the gas lines run to the kitchens and if someone swaps to induction, that ok. It was too hard to go from induction to gas if a potential buyer wants gas.

shorty likes this.
  4. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Induction has come a long way. I've installed them for 10 years now and some of the better ones available these days would surprise you. One last month was a Miele and it wasn't cheap but seriously fast. Pulled 65A on start-up on all zones but runs fine on a 40A circuit we installed. I have a 900mm gas cooktop and I like it but I hate cleaning it so when we do a Reno it'll be electric for sure. Currently runs off a 9kg bottle which lasts 6-9 months so no supply charges, local servi refills my bottles for $19.

5. Never giveup

I do not know if gas runs in street but will find out and I have seen those tall silver colour gas cyclender outside of some properties in other streets.

Our induction stove has 3 parts and main runs fine but for other 2 can be slow if running sametime. Its smeg and not sure about those power numbers mentioned above

6. Clean Cookie

what's happening is the cooktop is limiting overall power due to excessive heat and packaging restraints. Newer ones are more efficient and are less limiting, but you might need an upgraded supply if you're using 4 burners on high for long (30+ minutes) periods.

I would go find a fancy display place that allows you to play with them in real use scenarios. Take your cookware and see. Then try their cookware. It may be that yours isn't optimal, and whilst it works isn't as good as it could be.

wylie and Never giveup like this.
  7. Never giveup

Cleaning is easy but some marks aren't going away.

We bought that induction special cookware from Costco as we didn't have before. Hope these pics can provide some info

Attached Files:

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Clean Cookie

If you could pull the plug out so I can see the power point that would help me to see what power it's currently using.

As for the marks you can get polish to remove the watermarks.

9. Never giveup

One says - 240V with Earth written on one Pin (total 3 pins)

2nd says- TBA101P 7.5A 250v

10. Never giveup

Here are the plug pics

Re Cleaning, I think both are same, GAS you just remove the frame wash it and wipe the silver part. This one same but need extra polishing etc...

I do agree that Gas need bit extra care, turning on/off regulator etc

Attached Files:

11. Clean Cookie

You have a 20a socket and plug for the cooktop. This is going to mean the hot plate cannot draw more than 20a (or the install is non compliant) which is effectively half what most these days can use. We hardwire them and you may well have the cabling installed to suit a higher power cooktop but would need to assess onsite for that. I hope this helps in your decisio/knowledge.

Attached Files:

Never giveup and Stoffo like this.
  12. Never giveup

Thank you for your input and guidance @Clean Cookie

I wonder why old owners didn't go higher power!!

I do understand your point @Stoffo re using wok few times a year. We grew up using gas and even know Mrs has figuered out that big induction surface be good @ 7 then 9 just like gas low medium high but somehow gas is winning (in the head).

Let's see which way we go, 1st need to find that gas line/cyclender process.

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Pic's make all the difference :cool:
    Bugger about the marks :oops:
    Yours may have just been a cheaper unit when purchased (it all comes down to price, and maybe the previous owners cheaped out)

I checked and ours is hardwired
    It wasn't cheap, being 4 elements wide wasn't the norm (rrp was about $3k) ours was a display unit on sale
    It's is an 8yo Smeg and still looks like this (only some small scratches now)
    20210529_080952.jpg
    We use Windex surface cleaner ;)
    It is quicker than using the microwave to make a cuppa :D

Never giveup likes this.
  14. Never giveup

Given the knowledgeable and kind users giving guidance, I have added some other questions to the title.

15. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

I have a high end induction cooktop imported from Hungary and I love it. Specific wiring as it's pulling 32Amps. Heaps better than gas for temperature control, and no gas service charge.

But, I can't do a proper stir fry as there is no wok burner, that's the only drawback. You can get an induction burner for wok, but I can't justify it and don't have enough bench space.

Stoffo likes this.
  16. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I have a basic Ikea Induction top which we went to after having gas for several years.

There is no way I would go back to gas.

Bunbury and wylie like this.
  17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Have you ever considered something like this @Frenchie ? allows you to stir fry on your induction
    https://www.homeclearance.com.au/p/...UuUUJdGHG0W04jB_5hfkVbBwHGIkfyAoaAkaIEALw_wcB

18. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Westminster likes this.
  19. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I love gas cooking, however its a pain when you have cylinders and you are wondering if there is enough gas in the cylinders and are never quite sure if they are nearing empty so order a top up.
    Suspect I paid for a lot of gas I never used - moved house, modern electric cooktop which I now prefer as its easier to clean and I never run out of power ... :D

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia