Changing aluminium window frame colours

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dabbler, 28th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have never had to consider this before, so have no idea apart from getting new windows, anyways....

Am thinking of a place that has Burgundy coloured aluminum window frames, however with the other colours, it really makes for an unattractive look.

I know I could put paint, but then you will still see colour from inside and paint scratches off.

Black would be ok, cream would be ok, even no colour just silver would be better.

So, does anyone know, does anyone do a re finish service ? remove windows, remove glass, re colour, replace glass etc, or am I better off just biting the bullet and putting in new ? (they are less than 20 years old now)

Any other bright ideas ?

Would you just paint them ?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Board them up.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. dabbler

Light may be required :)

I have thought of shutters, but the most visible windows are also the Northern ones.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

External shutters/roller blinds?

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Are you trying to do the inside or the outside?
    If outside, and you painted them, it would be unlikely they would scratch.
    Inside they would get more scratching, but I would not look at replacing the windows just for the colour - it seems a bit overkill, even without knowing how it looks.
    If you are however considering replacing the windows to get double glazing, then you might as well do it.
    You could also consider vinyl stickers for the inside - they would not scratch like paint.

6. dabbler

Yeah, could easily do inside and outside, but then you can still see the middle etc, and it would look dodgy really.

So will have to decide what it would cost to change to different glass and do frames too, and some maybe just paint, or just get used to the burgundy, or put more burgundy so it looks more evened out.

The problem is light brick, lot of primrose, but burgundy window frames, it is like dogs gonads on a goldfish.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

i use a 2 pack epoxy primer and a 2 pack gloss polyurethane topcoat .They wont stratch and look great, tuff as nails and UV protected. I'm about to do this on aluminium window frames and sliding doors in a IP. Cheap and effective. Will post pics after i do them.

There, Shark, Lacrim and 5 others like this.
  8. dabbler

Thanks Andrew.

Do you take the glass out or do it all in place ? I assume in place, does it do a good enough job to do it on your home ?

Cheers

9. Andrew H

just leave the glass in. tape everywhere you dont want paint, cause once its on it wont come off. Make sure you take the tape off soon after your done each coat because it will also wont come off.
    The finish is definetly good enough for you own home, this will depend more so on the brush and/or roller you use. For a seamless smooth finish using a spray gun and compressor is best, but messy and overspray can make big issues if you dont know what your doing.
    But just see how good you can do with a brush and roller on a less inconspiqous area and if your satisfied then keep going. use a quality paint from say a marine shop i.e. people paint alumnium boats all the time and they are exposed a lot worse elements than your window frames.

Vanillascent and WattleIdo like this.
  10. Fiona C

Fiona C New Member

Hi Andrew,
    Did you end up painting these windows? We are considering doing this soon and we're a bit apprehensive about it
    Cheers

11. Fiona C

Fiona C New Member

Hi Andrew,
    Did you end up painting these windows? We are considering doing this soon and we're a bit apprehensive about it
    Cheers

12. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Update: I walked into a Dulux Trade Centre and spoke to a very nice guy. He picked a primer for me and we have tested in a few of our windows. Can find the specific one if you need it but would suggest you go to your local store first.

I only picked windows that are not so visible, and hardly used such as toilets, laundry and bathrooms. Firstly remove whatever that can be removed so I can work in my backyard, clean it and apply primer. As for the frames we just have to be patience: blue tape to protect from the spill into the window frames. Two coats of paint and it looks not bad. Have put them back for about two weeks now.

For other more visible and high traffic areas like bay windows, sliding doors, I dont think I am game to paint it. Will wait a few more months and see how the little windows go.....

SherW likes this.
  13. Andrew H

Yes we did and they came up great.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They can also be electrostatically powder coated. They run a small current in the frame (battery) and the powder spray from a gun adheres only to the charged materials. No overspray etc. They still mask the glass and walls etc with paper. Very quick. Looks like brand new and doesnt peel. We did our whole office complex and it was straight forward. Took it from 70s pink to a nice grey.

The painters used a dulux powder.

Hand painting was three times cost on quotes

Tom Rivera likes this.
  15. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

What about just placing modern venetians in front of the windows?

16. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Mate! This sounds incredible! You don't happen to know the rough price, say, per average window?

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Do you have their contact details? Am contemplating this for an upcoming reno (in Sydney). Thanks

18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

have you looked into primer and paint?? Can be done

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tom Rivera likes this.