Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Changing aluminium window frame colours

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dabbler, 28th Mar, 2016.

1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have never had to consider this before, so have no idea apart from getting new windows, anyways....

Am thinking of a place that has Burgundy coloured aluminum window frames, however with the other colours, it really makes for an unattractive look.

I know I could put paint, but then you will still see colour from inside and paint scratches off.

Black would be ok, cream would be ok, even no colour just silver would be better.

So, does anyone know, does anyone do a re finish service ? remove windows, remove glass, re colour, replace glass etc, or am I better off just biting the bullet and putting in new ? (they are less than 20 years old now)

Any other bright ideas ?

Would you just paint them ?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Board them up.

3. dabbler

Light may be required :)

I have thought of shutters, but the most visible windows are also the Northern ones.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

External shutters/roller blinds?

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Are you trying to do the inside or the outside?
    If outside, and you painted them, it would be unlikely they would scratch.
    Inside they would get more scratching, but I would not look at replacing the windows just for the colour - it seems a bit overkill, even without knowing how it looks.
    If you are however considering replacing the windows to get double glazing, then you might as well do it.
    You could also consider vinyl stickers for the inside - they would not scratch like paint.

6. dabbler

Yeah, could easily do inside and outside, but then you can still see the middle etc, and it would look dodgy really.

So will have to decide what it would cost to change to different glass and do frames too, and some maybe just paint, or just get used to the burgundy, or put more burgundy so it looks more evened out.

The problem is light brick, lot of primrose, but burgundy window frames, it is like dogs gonads on a goldfish.

7. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

i use a 2 pack epoxy primer and a 2 pack gloss polyurethane topcoat .They wont stratch and look great, tuff as nails and UV protected. I'm about to do this on aluminium window frames and sliding doors in a IP. Cheap and effective. Will post pics after i do them.

WattleIdo and Skilled_Migrant like this.
  8. dabbler

Thanks Andrew.

Do you take the glass out or do it all in place ? I assume in place, does it do a good enough job to do it on your home ?

Cheers

9. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

just leave the glass in. tape everywhere you dont want paint, cause once its on it wont come off. Make sure you take the tape off soon after your done each coat because it will also wont come off.
    The finish is definetly good enough for you own home, this will depend more so on the brush and/or roller you use. For a seamless smooth finish using a spray gun and compressor is best, but messy and overspray can make big issues if you dont know what your doing.
    But just see how good you can do with a brush and roller on a less inconspiqous area and if your satisfied then keep going. use a quality paint from say a marine shop i.e. people paint alumnium boats all the time and they are exposed a lot worse elements than your window frames.

Vanillascent and WattleIdo like this.