Changes to society from COVID-19

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 25th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Hoping for a vaccine. It's in the the OH&S requirements for suicide missions as part of their Enterprise Agreement.

Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I got some great feedback from some tenants this week on the design for a project I completed last year. Years ago I bought a 249sqm lot across the road from a park 2km from the CBD. I fought tooth and nail to get a design approved on it which was 3 apartments - one on each floor. I had a "vision" that I wanted to achieve and it was worth the fight.

The ground floor apartment has a small front courtyard and a larger rear courtyard with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The third bedroom is a bit smaller and could be used as a study or bedroom but no built in robes

The middle floor apartment has a large front balcony off the living areas overlooking the park and a rear terrace. It too has three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms but the third bedroom has a multi purpose feel. It's next to the kitchen so could be a bedroom, study, dedicated dining room, den etc and has large glass sliding doors to the rear terrace

The top floor apartment is smaller and built into the roof space. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and no multi purpose room but still has a large balcony overlooking the park.

The tenants said they have been using the multi purpose rooms to work from home and often work outside on the balconies on the better weather days and enjoying the indoor/outdoor flow and watching the world go by at the park across the road. They said unlike a traditional apartment the ability to have the cross ventilation from one side to the other was great and it never felt like a stuffy apartment.

You can see some photos here Tiger Developments WA

Biggbird, Propagate, Marg4000 and 8 others like this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I hate the current status. We are now living in a Police State. Bogans need to roam free without this psychological dog collar/ lead thingy around the neck.

Say, it’s midnight and we need to go to a servo to get an orchy bottle and along the way pick up some garden hose.

What excuse are we gonna tell the cops? “Yes officer I got this piece of hose so I can use it as a straw to suck the contents of the orhy bottle. All in the name of hygiene sir, you never know where that orchy bottle has been. And this steel cone? Why that’s a........just take me in officer”

lettert, Coffee and Lizzie like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

But why do you always cut the house from the tap end? ... I leave the loose end obviously available, but noooooo , every time I have to reattach my shortening hose to the tap

datto likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

People will keep wearing masks.

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It’s just a convenience thing. We can’t waste time looking for the end of the hose even if it’s readily available in front of our nose . But also because we’re dumb.

“Hey, Boogsey, this is weird. The occupants of this house have left the end of the garden hose in an obvious position so as to not cut the end attached to the tap. They’ve even attached a sign explaining where to cut. Not sure what to do here. Ahh best to follow instinct and cut the end attached to the tap”.

Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The elevations look amazing, I walk my dogs, at the park directly across the road from your development. The internals look great

datto likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Wow. Have been eating those mushrooms?

MTR and The Y-man like this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You know what? I’m glad this happened now rather than 15 or 20 years ago.
    Because back then, the ability for people to work remotely would have been a lot worse/more frustrating, the internet and internet shopping was a lot more immature (ok, there was the trading post, yellow pages etc but that was more painful to use), people didn’t have smartphones, social media wasn’t really developed, video conferencing wouldn’t have worked well, and most of us didn’t know about forums like these....

Last edited: 26th Apr, 2020
    lettert, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How irresponsible in these days of social distancing. How can you have an Orchy with only those in your household (unless it's a large sharehouse)? :eek::oops::D

I suppose it does contribute to natural selection.

datto likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't about that.

Might go visit Boogsey in hospital and tell him I think I know why he's on a ventilator.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The reality is that travel was quite a bit more expensive then so it probably wouldn't have come so easily to Australia.

However in the dark ages - commonly known as the year 2001 - I worked from home one day a week and I could shop online (ebay, amazon etc) on my ADSL line. It wasn't really frustrating - there wasn't the internet clog we have today.

I just checked and I've actually had an ebay account since November 2000 but I couldn't do online grocery shopping so I will grant that is easier today.

Gockie likes this.
  13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The news is no longer 50% sport. Thank goodness!

lettert, Gockie, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Got to agree! I was on Sommersoft well before 2001. I remember well, sitting in my office at the skating rink, reading posts. The business closed in 2001. I've also been an eBay user since way before than as well. Internet was not much slower than it is today.

Westminster likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Did you start under a different name? You're recorded as joining in 2003. (Somersoft.com.au still exists in archive format).

I joined in December 2001, some members in March 2001 - although there is an archive forum with posts dated from 1999.

16. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I think things will simply go back to normal after all this is done and dusted.

The main reason why some countries ended up with massive death tolls is because of delayed response to the crisis and not because of the severity of the Virus. The countries that dealt with this promptly like Singapore and Taiwan have had much better results and that is simply due to their previous experience with pandemics.

Most countries will simply have better plans to manage any future outbreaks but to think that social behaviour will 'have' to change due to this rare event is a little bit far fetched to my mind.

Of course, 'never waste a crisis' will always apply and hence you get this kind of rhetoric below :

"Even if we release restrictions in the future, people need to change the way they interact permanently," Dr Murphy said."

No thanks. Dr. Murphy can change his own behaviour.

Beating coronavirus means changing how we interact even after social restrictions ease, says Chief Medical Officer - ABC News

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2020
    lettert, Casteller and MTR like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Could not agree with you more

Perhaps some countries may in future have better contingency plan and budget
    For more supplies/medical equipment in hospitals ???

Otherwise.... I think everything after corona will go back to normal

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2020
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I don't think changes will come about because of any "have to change" - but rather a change in mindset about what's important, new opportunities, changes that naturally took place (bought forward) and will remain

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, I did not. My original posts got lost somehow. I was a newbie back then and didn't post much until I moved to Sydney from Wollongong, but I was definately active BEFORE 2001. I've spoken to @Simon Hampel about it previously.

geoffw likes this.
  20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The vBulletin forum (started Sep 2002) was v3.

Somersoft v2 was run on WebBoard (started Feb 2001) and I was able to extract all of the post data an import it in to vBulletin - but not all users were associated with their posts.

The original hand-written (by Ian Somers) Somersoft v1 forum (started Aug 1999) was partially/selectively archived in vBulletin (by Les?) but not all posts were brought across.

There also seems to be a gap of around 6 months between the data I have for the end of v1 and the start of v2 of the forums - it could be that some data was lost?

The Y-man, skater and geoffw like this.