Changes to society from COVID-19

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 25th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

*** Please keep it civil and positive, enlightening pieces.

This is a light yet interesting article about how architects in the hardest high European countries are reviewing how house/units will built differently in the future:

How Will Coronavirus Change the Future of Home Design?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Is your intent for this thread to be about societal changes, or about how housing might change?

ie, is it about real estate or about everything?

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If myself and my partner both had to be locked down in my 2 br unit in West Ryde (where we were living till late 2008), I think we'd hate each other by now.

As it is, my home environment is very pleasant, frequent visiting birds, lovely gardens to the front, back and side to enjoy, a great space on a balcony for me to practice my unicycling skills, a quiet, sunny and reasonably private front porch with lovely garden views to read the paper, spacious home with lots of rooms to be separated, I can work from home and enjoy my views, friendly neighbours... I don't mind this at all. :)

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We'll ... everything ... but keep it positive please :D

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I flatly refuse to commute to a city job anyway. To me, it's all about community.

An apartment would have to be pretty amazing to entice me to live in close proximity to my neighbours. I would hardly consider living in an over 55s village if it was the last place left after the Apocalypse, I would rather die.

So no, Caronavirus has done nothing to change how I will live in the future.

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
    Lizzie likes this.
  6. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

I think businesses will become more accepting of working from home. From a housing point of view, this may mean a dedicated study and focus on top class internet connectivity. It may also lead a flattening of the price discrepancies between inner and outer suburbs; why pay so much more to live 20 minutes from Sydney CBD when you only have to go there once or twice a week.

craigc, The Y-man and Lizzie like this.
  7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Not home design but about lifestyle... this is one of my observations.

I often find this country is full of rules and restrictions, some may have good intention and someone can write a thesis of why it's needed. "Oh this is the way it MUST Be done". But things changed after Covid.... Extraordinary times and peple become more creative, or sensible? One example is signing of prescriptions at Chemist.

In the past, to get regular prescriptions from the Chemist, although I am already on MedAdvisor but te Chemist still wants me to sign the little piece of prescription. I was always tempted where is that small piece of paper going.... Anyhow, recently they dont require this anymore. Chemist stafff sits behind perspex screen, and happily hand me my medications, and I walk home happily. Some Chemists dont even let you come in I heard.

Interesting to see what they will do after this.

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Asides from a realisation of the basic need for access to green space, as per the above article, two things I'm loving is ... seeing women slowly revert to their natural hair colour, whether it be grey or brown or whatever, they look so much more beautiful in their soft honestly ... and ... new community togetherness traditions, such as the driveway ceremonies, this morning for our Anzac's

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
    Propagate likes this.
  9. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Re evaluating self
    That’s happening in a lot of people I know
    At least I have made sure that death binding of my super, good will (yet to sign), and contingency plan for hubby and mum

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes ... we redid the wills after being "to busy" for the last few years

Hubby is also re evaluating work, which I suspect a few are doing

samiam likes this.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

12. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

As a result of the above people start shopping and managing their affairs more locally. Also online shopping has increased massively and I believe permanently. The big shopping centres and CBD shops will be the biggest long term losers even after COVID.

Buynow, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  13. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

I couldn't find any relevent thread so jumping in here.

How come noone including media is not talking about ISIS anymore? Even its all about Covid19 but this also has impact on all

Scott No Mates likes this.
  14. Gockie

I think people will still like to go into the CBD... I have been online shopping quite a bit more though than usual. So many more options online you can’t often get in stores.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Footpaths to become one way (or much wider) - I've noticed more people stepping onto the roadway to achieve the social distancing from other pedestrians.

(Personal gripe - they're using the on-road or dedicated bike lanes).

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Many people will change where they live so that if this happens again they have more freedom and space. Barcelona expats forum I go on some are struggling pretty badly and want to leave Spain.

Internal travel advisory to avoid the land of the epidemic
    ISIS is urging its fighters to avoid Europe because of the coronavirus pandemic

17. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Does it mean it will become more active in countries with less infection? :eek:

18. Gockie

Yeah... and the virus still doesn’t seem to be letting up in Spain.

Lol :( this is Chaser/The Shovel style satire... but I don’t think it was necessarily written tounge-in-cheek. :(

Last edited: 26th Apr, 2020
  19. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Can't believe Isis leaders are so dumb.....if aim is to attack with suside bombers etc. or create chaos then why they are not trying to catch COVID19 and spread it!!

I am against all militants and terrosist and violance and my above comments shouldn't be considered as promoting spread of Covid19 via Isis..

But given that they are stopping their fighters to go to Covid19 areas- why can't they just stop this madness as it is not helping anyone...

Edit:typos

Last edited: 26th Apr, 2020
  20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're pulling back because they can't achieve adequate bang for their buck. :oops:

Angel likes this.