Change PPR TO IP offset account

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by chrissiu84, 13th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chrissiu84

chrissiu84 New Member

Hi,

Just discovered this page and have been reading and learning a lot the past couple of days.

We are thinking or rentvesting turning our PPR to IP

My question is, I put all of my salary into mortgage payment currently on PI loan. We live off my partners wages.

Should we convert to IO and leave my salary plus the rental payments going into the offset account to build a buffer. Does this mean I am positively gearing and will there be any tax implications in doing so.

Eg.

Income: Salary: 2500 f/night
    Rental income: 600 f/night

Expenses

IO: 1000 f/night
    Holding cost: 200 f/night

Or do we just pay the minimum amounts required and save the surplus cash we have to build a deposit for another IP in the future,

Cheers
    Chris

Ace Ventura likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you are disciplined just pay the minimum or even interest only and put all the cash and income into the offset. You will save more interest this way and avoid tax complications of paying off an investment loan

chrissiu84 and Ace Ventura like this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yes, this would be the best option and ideally done form the get go.

Depending on what bank you are with this could be relatively easy to do or require a full application and possibly a refi depending on your banks policies?

Positive gearing is making a profit after ALL costs and expenses so hard to answer but funds in an offset account will reduce interest payable and increase the chances of being positively geared. Would need all the figures to definitively answer and even then a 5k cf+ property can be neutral or negatively geared with the right (or wrong) repair bill for example.

You need to seek specific advice from a mortgage broker and a tax accountant before proceeding further.

chrissiu84 likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

typically and historically, logically and economically, for those with decent money habits the io and 100 % offset structure is sweet.

Step up ASIC and APRA and with a bit of media spin .................. and suddenly this is as socially acceptable as those that have more than one IP.............

The pricing spread that will occur or sure to "stabilize"the banking sector to Euro standards means we need to analyse on a case by case basis if there is actual value in IO.

ta
    rolf

Ethan Timor and chrissiu84 like this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

My take would be different, unless aggressively acquiring and needing to use lenders that take actuals, I would keep it on P&I and put the excess into an offset.

This way you are slowly paying loan back & the only tax problem is if you start getting enough income, you will pay some tax, but that should be the aim of investments, to get actual income, or at least have a plan for when this happens.

At the end of the day, it is always going to be better to pay loans back :)

chrissiu84 and flyhere like this.
  6. Ethan Timor

Ethan Timor Well-Known Member

Other advantages of P&I: lower interest rates (with most lenders) and higher servicibility for future acquisitions (again, with most lenders).

Terry_w likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia