Change of government - what does it mean for us

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ronen, 22nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

2. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Jim Chalmers this morning hinted RBA review will look at changing make up of the board. Union representation on the board was floated.

Neutral interest rate settings is good for workers, the value and purchase power of their wage is valued. Low / accomodating interest rate settings like 0.10% takes purchase and saving power away from workers and moves the value to asset / capital holders.

So its likely that easy monetary setting in the next few decades may be rarer and smaller.

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

sash likes this.
  4. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

His effusive praise of Lowe also made me wonder if there might be some change at the top.

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  5. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Oh no doubt, the Chalmers interview indicate that a 99% chance Lowe won't be renewed.

Looking through the smokes and mirror, your average worker and young people entering the workforce have being shafted by monetary policy in the last 10 years. It's just the average Joe doesn't realise.

When I started working, busted my guts off for $20K gross, bought my first property by being frugal. If I had entered the workforce in the last 10 years, even if I did the same it would be very hard to build wealth.

RBA with Labour in government, a tweak to the RBA mandate and change the Board make up would suggest a more balanced monetary policy approach. So over next decade, it will actually make sense for people to work and save instead of speculate with cheap credit.

Sandon, shorty and Lizzie like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Remind you of any other sore loser?

Albanese astonished by Morrison's 'don't trust government' speech at church

Morrison was speaking to the Victory Life Centre when he urged congregants to put their faith in God rather than government.

"We trust in Him," Morrison told the church.

"We don't trust in governments. We don't trust in the United Nations, thank goodness."
    He added there was value in the role of government. "We don't trust in all these things, fine as they may be and as important as the role that they play," Morrison said.

marty998 and shorty like this.
  7. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

The way he speaks about government it sounds to me as if there were a few smart public servants, security chiefs and military chiefs who were the proverbial adults in the room and didn’t tell him everything because he simply wasn’t up to it.

Much like Trump - if someone like Scott had the knowledge, skills and ability to actually wield any sort of power we would have been in real deep trouble.

LibGS, Ronen and Lizzie like this.
  8. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

All I can say: we dogged a bullet.
    Quite amazing the amount and intensity of cookers we're seeing coming out.

It seems they all forgot they are actually suppose to be the forefront of the country and acting as if it's all just fight over who's Tiktok channel has more followers, and all of them are happy to reach new lows every single day.

marty998 and Lizzie like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Holy what!?

Australia's Governor-General David Hurley confirmed he had appointed Morrison to "administer portfolios other than the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet".
    Albanese said he had sought advice from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet following a News Corp report that Morrison was sworn in as the second resources minister in December last year without the knowledge of some of his cabinet.

Albanese to investigate claims of Morrison's secret portfolios

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  10. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

All the more reason to become republic!
    Can't wait to get rid of this useless authority.

shorty and James90 like this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think a republic would have stopped this. It seems to have been initiated by Scomo, and the GG just performed the formality.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Is the literal co-ordination point for all of Govt. It is the axle and the Ministers are the spokes and their departments are what turns. Its staffed by 1150 people. A republic only changes the upper levels the PM & Parliamnet reports to eg No more GG but some form of elected President. THe GG merely does as he is told. He cant choose who is in charge of a portfolio . The PM chooses that. I beleive several of these cases involved covid impacted ministers. They had to have another person act for them while ill.

We're the team that supports the Prime Minister, Cabinet, Portfolio Ministers and Assistant Ministers.

13. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

How would one be sworn in as minister in secret if there's not GG?
    It has to happen in the parliament, right? Can't hide stuff you do in the parliament. Unless if it's the prayer room.

It seems the GG has no obligation to disclosure actions that effect the Australian people. He's working for the Queen and we're all just pawns....

14. geoffw

There would always be a process. Perhaps a president would perform the role. Or the PM. In the US, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court performs the duty.

It doesn't have to be in the parliament. Ministers might typically be sworn in at Government House. For a new parliament, it would be at parliament, but before the GG.

15. geoffw

From The Chaser:

FB_IMG_1660551700124.jpg

Screenshot_2022-08-15-18-23-52-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

marty998 likes this.
  16. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Imagine if we had Clarke and Dawe taking this one apart - Brian interviewing all the different Scott Morrisons at the same time.

I miss them :(

17. geoffw

The Chaser is in good form
    Screenshot_2022-08-19-07-45-08-54_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Scott-Morrison-Resume.jpg

And in another Chaser headline -
    "Barnaby Joyce reveals he also secretly took up home affairs"

marty998, willair and Lizzie like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia