Change of government - what does it mean for us

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ronen, 22nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Yep.
    In Canada everyone is equal but some are more equal than others. 15.1, 15.2
    The section linked is about existing treaty rights, which not many would oppose.
    15.2 would probly get some discussion though.
    And these a part of a Charter/Bill of rights that Australia does not have in any form.

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I would rather see more First Nation people in Parliament, shame about Ken Wyatt, should be more like Linda Burney, she looks for solutions and doesn't appear to be bitter about our apalling past.

3. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

What has been or currently happening is not necessarily the right thing.

I don't think the "voice to parliament" makes first nation people "more" than any of us.
    It just means that the constant negative treatment those people have received since the white men arrived, should stop.

As Albo said: "it's about manners".
    If there were treated with manners, as equals, I guess there were no need for any provision.

And anyway, why Australia cannot be the first to mention a segment of society that been treated poorly in the constitution?

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  4. Piston_Broke

This is wrong generic nonsense.
    There are many that are happy with the opportunities given to them and many more doing what they can to improve their situation.

Doncossack, MWI and Coffee like this.
  5. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I guess we'll see what happens in the referendum than.
    In the meantime, it seems most Australian have different views about many things (same sex marriage and the last election to name few)

6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

How do you know what most think or have different views, different from what? Isn't this why we hold referendums because we don't know what most think?

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Going to referendum means the view of the majority can become constitutional law ...

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

A bit of educational viewing for you

First Australians | Documentary

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  9. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

No one knows, but there was a debate of what "everybody thinks".

If you asked me me before the same-sex marriage referendum what "most of Aussie think" - I'd never would have guessed it'll be an overwhelming "YES".
    It was, for me, one of the proudest movements being Aussie.
    The "call to arms" of people who has no skin in the game (most of us are not effected in any way by the ability of same sex couple to get married), in the name of providing a minority group with the equality they deserve was amazing and showed everyone that Aussies are not as stupid and disconnected as everybody tries to paint.

The second time was 2 weeks ago, where Aussies went in droves and kicked out a government, that more than anything, represented an Americanisation.
    I was quite anxious leading to the election. I've followed it very closely and feared that the "average Aussie" will be easily influenced by the overwhelming right media efforts and the massive amounts of money thrown into marketing.

But no - the "average Aussie" is, as it turns out - smart, engaged and think critically.
    It's a rare occasion to be able to witness real "what everybody" thinks. And when push come to shove - we, the Aussie people, seems to do a very good job.

I hope it'll be the same for both the first nations voice to parliament and becoming republic.

I, unlike @Piston_Broke , not too concern about the "special" treatment first nations will get.
    We're not going to be overrun by first nation elders lords.
    They are not going to become our masters.
    It's only a way to make sure they get the treatment they deserve as one of the most deprived minorities in Australia.

I don't believe first nations are born with a genetic disposition to go to jail.
    If we help them to become more, I'm sure we can change the tied and have many less first nations in jail and many more in the general public - as equals.

For me - that's win win for everyone.

Gockie, ollidrac nosaj, wylie and 4 others like this.
  10. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

From the ACTUAL website.

What is a Voice to Parliament? - From The Heart
    I don't see anything about aboriginal people ruling over us. It is an advisory body.

I am Australian born to immigrants and I was called wog for long time. I can't begin to imagine how it must feel to be subjected to racism despite your family having been here 60,000 years.

ollidrac nosaj, Lizzie, Ronen and 2 others like this.
  11. Piston_Broke

Did not write anything of the sort anywhere. You're just projecting yourself on others.

One of the very few good things J Howard did was try to bring the issues forward and address them.
    And he was told it's none of his or white man's business.
    And yet the abuse and atrocities continue as all the "do gooders" sweep them under the carpet while others collect and endless stream of gov money. As long as the problems are never looked at, let alone solved the gravy train conitues.
    And any resemblance of responsibility on perpetrators is racist with manufactured outrage like that above.

It even happens to the likes of Jacinta Price or Warren Mundine who are constantly being silenced

New Town, craigc and Doncossack like this.
  12. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Or..... Just maybe..... That's how your posts sound like?
    If I misunderstood you, I apologies.
    And if that's the case, you might want to explain yourself better so such misunderstanding will less likely to happen.

13. Piston_Broke

Nah man, I have a some friends in Tennant Creek and those peeps need to be understood.
    Sorry, it's probably a way too complex problem with too many subtleties for a forum.

MWI likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And Skynews is surprised that she speaks fluent Bahasa. Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malay (or Melayu) are very similar languages.

Penny Wong reveals secret talent

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sky News are very easy to surprise. They rely on sensational opinion journalism, rather than investigate and due diligence journalism

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

At least they're positive on a member of the new government!

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the editors room when they tried to find a spin that will make it look bad, but no matter what they brainstorm - nothing.
    They had to go with that line this time. Poor things.

geoffw and Lizzie like this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

19. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

It can take 1km to stop a freight train, similarly, Albo and the ALP can't suddenly turn around the momentum of the Australian economy formed from a decade of Coalition policy.

Anyone who blames the current situation of inflation and increasing interest rates on the ALP does not understand the bigger picture, or economics in general.

PS I am not making judgement on Coalition policies. The economic cycles and the impact of policies work in time scales of at least several years.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2022
    datto, Lizzie and Coffee like this.
  20. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

One point: it is becoming more and more the case that politicians are making short-sighted decisions because that is how the population votes - that is on us as a whole. "We get the politicians we deserve".