Change of government - what does it mean for us

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ronen, 22nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Good morning,

Normally, I'm a sleeper-inner. Will not open my eyes before 9:00am on a Sunday.
    But this morning, I couldn't sleep.
    I felt an urge to grab a milk cart and come here to stand on it and share my feelings.

So it's clear: the government has changed. The Aussies has said their mind in what would probably be remembered as one of the most important elections in Australia.

And those who votes libs carrying the message that the sky will now fall in;
    Higher taxes, higher unemployment, higher number of boats, higher inflation, rates and recession.
    "dire result" they say.

Well, we've lived those dire times for the last 9 (mainly 3) years.
    If the next 3 will be dire, than we're even.
    If it's not-so-dire, we're on top.
    One thing is certain - it won't be worse!

And you know what?
    I'm an high earner. We're actually high earning dual income family. With investments. And IPs.
    We get no hands out from the government and pay heaps of tax.
    Should be very scared of what the communist ALP is going to do, right?

Not really....
    I don't care if I pay more tax!
    For me, it'll just mean a little bit less in the fat of my bank account. It won't change my life in the slightest.

But if that means;
    • Women who suffers abuse could leave without the fear of sleeping in a car.
    • Women could go out and work if they want and need without worrying that childcare will be more expensive (and as a result, live in a financial abusive environment).
    • For women to NOT be raped and abused in their workplace.
    • People who need NDIS would get what they need without fighting heartless contractors who only care about the bottom line.
    • Low income earners would have their wage increased to keep up with the cost of living.
    • Old people in public age care would get the treatment they needs, a quality food and lots of TLC from carers who earn decent wages to reflect the important job they are doing.
    • For Uber drivers to not have to work 18 hours just to make ends meet.
    • To not have my taxes be given to Harvey and Gina.
    • To see those who think they are in Canberra to rort our money and use it for their own advantage going into jail and never seen again in the public. I want them to be humiliated and remembered in history for the grabs they are.
    • For first nations to get the recognition they deserve. To listen to them.

So no. I'm not afraid if I'll be taxed more.
    Actually - I will be happy to pay more tax; if I know where it's going and those who take it are accountable.

We have close to $1T debt. It won't just "go away".
    We, as a country, have to put our money where our month is and together start working on fixing this.

The people has spoke!
    Now it's time to start walking the hard mile.

The ALP and others in the parliament cannot magically "fix" anything. It's for all of us to put our hand in and push. This is the only way we would be able to restore what used to be the best country in the world and was destroyed by selfish and corrupt government for the last decade.

We let them be there for all those years. Now it's time for us to pay the price for it.

Let's make Australia great again!

Last edited: 22nd May, 2022
    qak, FredBear, inertia and 15 others like this.
  2. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You should share your feelings more often... Thanks for that.

qak, Baker, euro73 and 1 other person like this.
  3. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

as a famous man once said :- “ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.”

JDP1, Ideacrash, datto and 2 others like this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

On a more serious note...have a look at what happened in some staunchly liberal seat like Wentworth (Eastern Suburbs of Sydney) it was clear...that a right wing interests of Scomos liberals did not espouse the values of their electorate for the following reasons:

1. Climate change is a real issue
    2. Womens issues could no longer be swept under a carpet by white anglo saxon men
    3. Religion view mixing in with politics has no place
    4. Diversity and inclusion (LGBT, ethnic diversity) needed to be addressed not just glossed over. Dai Le winning her electorate also sent a message to labor.
    5. Business interests need to be balanced with other interests

Congrats to people like Allegra Spender..... Zoe Goldstein... Zali Steggel .they killed it.... sends a very strong message to the ole boys club.

SuperOlaf, inertia, Baker and 8 others like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I would like to put my 2 cents in. Unfortunately due to inflation it’s been rounded up to 5 cents.

Can we expect more inflation with Albo?

craigc, MWI, Redom and 5 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm all for bigger porky pies :rolleyes:

datto likes this.
  7. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

I'm more optimistic this morning than I was yesterday. I think tackling climate change in Australia is one of the greatest opportunities we will get as a nation. And I'm glad that we can now agree as a nation something needs to be done and we have the political will to get that started.

Firefly99, zeraussiul, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Better than their sausage.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughter is an enthusiastic ALP supporter. She's quite happy with the big support for the teal independents. She sees that as driving Labor towards more climate awareness - the shot in the arm they needed.

It remains to be seen if it has the same effect on the Libs - or if it drives them further to the right, to pick up the UAP and PHON supporters.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think Libs could have done better if Morrison wasn’t so cocky. He should have handled the bushfires, floods and Covid differently. He seemed to have a childish attitude at times.

Also he used special privileges during lock down while others suffered eg visiting family. I know that I previously said he should be allowed to those privileges but now think different about it.

Mainly because he can be seen as a smart aleck who probably took pleasure in watching people suffer. He was the architect behind robodebt also. No friends made there.

Albo seems to have a mature attitude. I think he’ll make good changes. Hope he keeps inflation in check.

Penguin, freyja, Baker and 5 others like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That would be dumb. If they move to centre right like the teals they have a chance.

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Just saying nothing stopping people tipping Uber drivers etc. I refuse to use home delivery services and often Tip ride share drivers. Not happy about what they get paid use a regular Taxi.

George Smiley likes this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Labor has majority via 77 seats with potential of another 1-2.

Scomo is getting lambasted on his way out...

datto likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Me too. And I've started using taxi with a similar app. Taxi drivers copped a bad time when uber took over.

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Inflation is worldwide atm ... blaming an incoming PM would be ridiculous

Propin, datto and Pumpkin like this.
  16. geoffw

And as the inflation started this year - blaming the outgoing PM would also be ridiculous.

craigc, Propin, Coffee and 2 others like this.
  17. geoffw

It may be dumb - but that depends on who they listen to. The Nationals did well, and may have an outsize say in the Coalition's policies
    Australia election 2022 live: PM-elect Albanese wants to ‘change the way politics works’; Dutton front-runner to become Liberal leader

Many of the moderates in the Liberal party no longer have seats, so there may well be a move to the right

18. aving1001

aving1001 Well-Known Member

True but most of the time politicians take credit when things go right even though they have no or little role.

Propin likes this.
  19. aving1001

aving1001 Well-Known Member

With labor in power and increase in cost of borrowing do we expect acceleration in housing price correction.

20. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

It will be a minimum 2 term labor government.

With the libs being behind probably 25 seats it will be hard to recovery any time soon. Particularly as they look to go more to the right under Dutton. Those that have enjoyed financial security and prospered over the last decade have turned their back on the party.

Hopefully both majors reflect improve after such low primary vote, because independents can't run a country.

spludgey and Lizzie like this.