Change laundry to main bathroom??

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbo2621, 26th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbo2621

robbo2621 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, have attached a rough sketch of the layout of my new PPOR, it's not a large house, wanted to know your thoughts on making the Laundry the new main bathroom and the current bathroom an ensuite for bedroom 1. Just looking at keeping it under the current roofline at the moment.
    Im sure most people will have the same thoughts as me in saying it's too far away and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the house, which is what is giving me doubts. I was first just thinking of putting an extra toilet out there and upgrading the laundry, (it needs doing) but then thought if I'm going to go to that effort why not throw a full bathroom in there as it's quite a big space that is pretty much wasted at the moment, would also have room to put a small laundry in there with it aswell. With the house being abit smaller it's not really a big deal to get to. Only other thing is you have to go down 3 steps to get to it which might cause dramas at night (sensor light maybe?) image.jpg

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Why not make bedroom 2 with the ensuite and laundry rather than a bathroom next to the kitchen

3. Lu Bracher

Lu Bracher Well-Known Member

Hmm - I think it's doable and if you keep current bathroom this should add value to your property.
    Alternatively, you can turn current bathroom into ensuite by knocking out the wall.

I did a combined guest bathroom laundry combined.

My idea - full bench along exterior wall, washing machine space under counter allocate for larger washing machine - will not cater for top loaders in this design. But you have extra workbench. Choose basin that can be used as both laundry run and basin. There are some funky s/s sinks out that that could serve this purpose. Mirror above basin, window to side.
    As the bathroom is close to kitchen, situate the toilet to the furthest corner, this is not bad because the plumbing for sewerage is not far from this position anyway. Shower in corner may need angle door opening or use sliding doors depending on access to cubicle space allocation. Still has wall for towel rail. And if space permits behind door - spot to hang ironing board.

Attached Files:

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hehe. The place i'm buying has an external laundry and kinda resembles your setup. However the laundry in the place i'm buying can only be accessed by getting out of the house. So my first thought based on this house i'm purchasing was a big no, but if your laundry is just down a couple of stairs and is not actually external to the house then go ahead...

5. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

this is exactly what I am doing. Making main bathroom the ensuite. Stealing a bit off the back of the kitchen and making this an ensuite to the 2nd bedroom. Downstairs is a huge laundry and ensuite type bathroom so I am making this one whole big luxury bathroom with a laundry in the cupboard. I am talking exposed brick wall with egg bath, semi seperate toilet and big glass shower and chandeliers. My main reason for doing this is for visitors to have a toilet if we have a guest in the 2nd bathroom. We also have a huge area downstairs which will become a guest suite and this will act as the bathroom for this also

6. robbo2621

I didn't want to do this as bedroom 2 is abit smaller than bed 1 (doesn't really look it on the poorly drawn floor plan) doesn't have as good an aspect as bed 1 (main bedroom) and I'd have to put in another set of stairs which would eat that bit more space.
    But in saying that, it is doable, although I wanted the ensuite for the main bedroom I spose it's a guest bedrooms own ensuite and the main bedroom is right next to the bathroom anyway.

7. robbo2621

Oh really? yea it's not external just those few steps down

Gockie likes this.
  8. robbo2621

Thanks for your ideas Lu.
    The window is on the left far wall (walking down from kitchen) I like the idea of the long bench and doubling the sink as laundry run and basin. Would want to mesh it all together to look seamless. Id want people to walk in and be like 'whoa this is a really nice bathroom, oh wow there's actually a great little laundry in here aswell' ;)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia