CGT, room renting and selling at a loss

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by B Tilly, 19th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. B Tilly

B Tilly Member

Hi. First time poster looking for general advice. I purchased PPOR for $600k 9 years ago. Early on I rented out a room for 4 years and declared the income and claimed expenses such as a portion of interest on my tax returns. It’s a 2 bedroom house so I claimed based on 50% of the floor space. Now thinking about upgrading to a bigger house but the home has lost value - prob get $550k for it now - located in Perth... I have also spent a bit upgrading it over the years. So my question is should I bother trying to work out a capital loss when I sell? I assume had the home gained in value I’d be up for a CGT bill, so feel like I should be able to book a capital loss to offset any future gains in other more fortunate investments.

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Did you claim depreciation over the 4 years?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You must work out the CGT - Capital proceeds less the cost base.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If there is a CGT loss the strategy may be to not claim the main residence exemption as it is a choice. This may benefit you in future years to report a CGT loss. CGT losses on sale are a little more complex in your case as you are impacted by the pro-rata basis and some costs that some may tell you are eligible cant be used to create a loss, only reduce a profit. It may assist to seek personal tax advice to avoid errors. Remember for years after you USE that loss you may need to support how you determined the loss calculation. Get it wrong and it could pose a problem in 3, 5, 10 or more years

5. B Tilly

B Tilly Member

On a few things like a new water heater yes I did. Not the building though as it’s too old for depreciation.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.