CGT, Retirement and Super Question

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by gregh, 8th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. gregh

gregh New Member

Background - I think I understand the basics re CGT and calculating (e..g per this thread)

Question - Is there anything special beyond the basics I need to be aware of when looking at the different/impact, in relation to approaching retirement, between (a) not selling IP, (b) selling an IP before retirement, and (c) selling after retirement?

The main item I have in mind (but there could be others) is whether there is some advantage of selling IP and putting proceeds into super as non-concessional?? I'm guessing here it may not help re reducing any CGT you pay, but rather whether it just might be a good strategy re then the interest it creates after you retire can be tax free (assuming you don't go over any caps, $1.6M was it)...

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Nothing really unless sudden drop in income which will help slightly.

gregh likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You need to be aware that there are rules around making non-concessional contributions.

Anyone under the age of 65 can make a non-concessional contribution to a superannuation fund whether they’re employed, self-employed or not employed.

If you’re aged 65 or over (but under 75), you can make a non-concessional contribution if you satisfy a work test in the financial year that you contribute. In short, the work test is working 40 hours in any 30-day period in the financial year in which you intend to make.

If you’re aged 75 or over, you can no longer make super contributions.

I’m retired. Can I make super contributions?

gregh likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sequence, timing and understanding special rules around CGT and income tax all impact. So do contribution rules and other strategies. One of the biggest mistakes many make is owning the property in the wrong names from the outset so it affects their judgement when selling later. Property contracts are largely "fixed" forms of ownership. Trusts can be a little more accomodating sometimes (incl a superannuation trust)

Perthguy likes this.