CGT question

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by barnes, 24th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

A Capital Gain Tax question

I have a chance to purchase an apartment overseas OF THE PLAN. I’m paying a full price now, but the complex where this apartment will be, is going to be built in 4 years. In 4 years time I will receive the title (there is no separate title for the land) and I intend to use this place as my PPOR for some years and live there.

In the meantime I’m living back home in OZ in my PPOR.

In 4 years time, after the apartment is completed I will sell my PPOR here and move overseas for some years.

QUESTION:

How can ATO qualify this apartment in case I want to sell it in 8 years time (4 of which it was built and other 4 I had lived in it as a PPOR) in case it will increase in value? I’m not planning to rent it out, I only intend to live in it.

I’m mostly interested in their qualification of the BUILDING PERIOD (which is 4 years) before I will move in.

I understand that I cannot have 2 PPORs at the same time (or can I in some special circumstances?).

Thanks for your help.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Xenia likes this.
  3. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Thank you Terry_w
    So it means that ATO qualifies something which isn't built as a dwelling which belongs to me, even though I don't have a title of ownership of it and cannot live in it (because it doesn't exist?) And is subject to capital gain tax if I will sell it in the future (the building stage)?
    Where is common sense here?

4. Terry_w

Prefect common sense. You mean to say if you sold it for a profit before titles are issued there should be no tax.

You have a 4 year opportunity.

5. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

So, the only way to go is not to declare my existing PPOR as a PPOR, but qualify a nonexistent apartment a PPOR instead, from the 1 day?

Thanks again.

6. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

When you move overseas you might become a non- resident. You need good written advice not rely on giving just part of your circumstances on a forum

7. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

My family will stay here, some business will also be conducted on OZ soil, so I will not become a non-resident. I will, of course, talk to professionals before making any purchases or moving anywhere. Thanks.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Technically when you leave here even if you remain a resident your OS address will not be consider a PPOR for tax purposes I believe.
    I'm grey on this area but I think the OS property is subject to local tax and not Australian CGT etc and you could potentially have a PPOR in Australia still

9. Terry_w

Wrong.

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Well there you go, I trust @Terry_w way more than my dodgyness

11. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

So it means that ATO will look at capital gains from overseas property the same as it does about property in Australia?
    And another question. Let's say I have 2 properties: one in Australia, one overseas. I live in both properties, 5 months in one, 7 months in the other, than move back to Australia again, then go overseas again and so on. And will be doing it for several years. Which property can I call my PPOR when I sell it, or I can calculate the exact time I live in each one and deduct this time from my capital gain? I will not rent out any of them ever.

Thank you for your answers.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You may become a non-resident for tax purposes. This question is more about where am I a permanent resident ...this may be the starting point.

Some taxpayers can choose which property is subject to a MRE where the absence rule applies to one or both properties.

13. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. I don't think that it might happen. I have strong ties to OZ and have some business activity here.
    What is an absence rule and where can I read about it?
    Thank you all for your help.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

15. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul, I thought something new came out, but it seems to be - nothing new. Thanks anyway.

16. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Doesn't risk come into the equation here? What protections are in place for paying 100% of a non-titled unbuilt property which is to be delivered 4 years hence (if you're lucky)? In Oz you can only be required to stump up 10% which can be a deposit bond.

17. Terry_w

In Australia the deposit will generally be held on trust until settlement. In many other countries the developer can run off with the deposit...

18. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Yeah it's possible and it happened before (not to me though). In this case I'm fully insured. I wouldn't even consider this idea if I wasn't covered for a 100%.