CGT payable on Transfer of Title?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul Luck, 15th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul Luck

Paul Luck Active Member

My ex and I own an investment property together. I will be buying out her half and transferring the title from joint owners to fully me. Is my ex liable for CGT at this event or is it when the house is sold some time in the future?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Are you doing this pursuant to court orders or a binding financial agreement?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Tax Tip 100: Transfers between Spouses and CGT https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/tax-tip-100-transfers-between-spouses-and-cgt.9275/

Unless an exemption applies she will be liable based on the date of transfer or contract if there is one. If you plan to claim the interest get some tax advice.

4. Paul Luck

Paul Luck Active Member

Yes, Consent orders

5. Paul Luck

Paul Luck Active Member

I just read if its a court order or BFA its a CGT rollover event and she pays no CGT, assume I will pay it (for the period it was used as a rental) when I sell, even if I move back in and make it my PPOR?

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you use the roll over on the break down in a relationship it is as if you owned it from the beginning. You will pay CGT when you sell, even if you move into it. based on s118-185 apportionment

Mike A and thatbum like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Important - The whole of the property may likely be treated as if you always owned it. However the loan after the arrangement may NOT be fully deductible. Personal property tax advice is essential.

The family court orders etc should always consider the value of the assets less any contingent tax liabilities that the parties may incur when framing the agreement. Yes you may acquire the property in full but yes you also acquire the CGT liability, if any. The one thing you cant claim is the main residence exemption if it wasnt your dwelling (eg the ex lived there) since the rollover basically excludes the ex as ever having had a interest.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia