Ceramic Electrical Fuses (outdated electrical safety device)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by markson, 9th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Hi Guys & Girls,

Just got my B&P inspection back for a property in QLD. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.37.55 am.png

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No, nothing to be concerned about.

3. markson

Thanks mate. I appreciate it.

4. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

Nothing to worry about bloke, RCD's are much better though, I can't quite make out the picture however there's already two RCD's in the picture not sure what circuit they're on.

The only trouble you'll run in to is, if you get an electrician in to upgrade something on those fused circuit for example downlights, some electricians might be a bit funny about it and only do it if you upgrade the circuit protection, the push from safety regulators and supply authorities is to have customers upgrade their circuit protection to RCD and in some cases it's necessary if the circuit is modified.

spludgey and markson like this.
  5. xanh

xanh Active Member

Are these the old ones with the fuse wire?
    If so, better to just replace them with a modern resettable plug-in type. If its an IP and the tenant trips the switch, its easy for the tenant to just reset the switch (after they've unplugged their dodgy hair dryer, of course). If its the fuse wire type, you probably can't expect the tenant to re-wire it.

Joynz likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why not?

That's just like asking them to relight the pilot light on the gas hot water or changing a tyre or lifting the toilet seat.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Because if they use the wrong wire then substantial damage could result.

When wire fuses were all we had, it was not uncommon for people to use a stronger amp wire so that the fuse would not break easily.
    Marg

Joynz and Hanison like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Still negligence on the part of the tenant. Just because it fits doesn't mean that it's right.

9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,

The advice above is incorrect, I have properties in Queensland, I think you'll find the ceramic fuses have been illegal in rentals for years and you need to upgrade to safety switches.

My rental statement has and has had this warning for years:

"SAFETY SWITCHES: Deadline to install safety switches is 1st March 2008. The Electrical Safety Office is stating that if a safety switch is not installed in your rental property after 1st March 2008 you may be liable for fines in excess of $1,000."

Kassy

10. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Safety switches and fuses are not the same thing.

Tools

Joynz and Perthguy like this.
  11. markson

Yeah the safety switches are fine. It's just got the ceramic fuses. Just checked my own power box and it's got the same. Never needed to rewire them. Just flick the safety switch and good to go again I

12. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I didn't realise. When they put in the safety switch in my old property they also got rid of the ceramic fuses...

13. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

I took my ceramic fuses to Bunnings and bought new fuses with a trip switch on them, saved me having to replace the wire. (Which i did once in 8yrs), easier to reset on a cold stormy night.

HPM 16 Amp Plug-In Circuit Breaker

Perthguy likes this.
  14. markson

Thanks mate, I will look at installing those next time I visit the property. Not worth paying the money and getting a sparky to install them.

15. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Was a simple remove and replace, 1 minute job, just make sure you have the right amp.

markson likes this.
  16. Rdtn

Rdtn Member

Hi Guys

I thought I'd continue on this thread instead of starting a fresh one... I just settled on an I.P and as the original poster stated mine also has the old ceramic style fuses. I went down to Bunnings to try and swap them out for the plug in style HPM circuit breaker but they don't have them in he size I need, the circuit breakers are bigger than the ceramic fuses I have.

My question is where would I stand legally if a tenant was to change the fuse wire and either electrocute themselves or put the wrong fuse wire back in which then causes damage to my property (worst case the house burns down) Am I then putting myself into a position to be sued?

From what I can read it is highly recommended to upgrade to a RCD style switch board, however I can't find anything that states as a landlord what my legal responsibilities are.

This is our first investment so we would appreciate any advice people can offer.

Cheers
    Rohan

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Clearly you only have commercial property, you must provide baby wipes too if asked in resi... :p:p:p

Scott No Mates and Phase2 like this.
  18. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

Residential tenancies act

NSW Legislation

19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think the IP that @Rdtn is referring to is in QLD.