Centrelink...wtf

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jaybean, 2nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

Probably. Read a court case years ago on DSS (now Centrelink) fraud. The evidence give was that every anon call was investigated as they had something like an 87% accuracy rate and was the major source of info missed by the data matching.
    Rat 'em out I say.
    Just did another 7 day week to meet commitments (including my tax bill) so my humour is low and sympathy non existent.

Put them in. Moral qualms- then PM me their name , address and details of the fraud and I'll ring Centrelink for you.

Same goes for OP.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Basically yes. There would be little other ways for this to be detected.

legallyblonde, Sackie, Magnet and 2 others like this.
  3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The crowd in the houso areas are dobbing each other in all the time for far less e.g. one of my students' daughter stayed at her place for a few weeks but they were soon reported by neighbours.

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

RP is just Aussie realestate.

5. jaybean

Domestic agencies only probably, not international which is the real problem.

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    If they're both on Newstart and single parents they each get $566.30 a fortnight. If they were a declared couple with children they'd be on $472.60 each a fortnight. So they are making $187.40 a fortnight, which they shouldn't be entitled to. Your tenants are ripping off the taxpayers, but at least they are spending the money within Australia
    Newstart Allowance - Department of Human Services

Compare that to the OP's friends parents who are probably claiming the full couple pension of $1180.60 per fortnight. They aren't even using the money to spend in Australia. So asides from giving these people close to $600 a week spending money they don't even circulate it within the Australian economy- A double blow:mad:
    Payment rates for Age Pension - Department of Human Services

It's bad enough that people even expoit the system. However, if they're stupid enough to brag about it you should report it. Asides from having their payments cut they'll be made to pay a sizable proportion of it back.

legallyblonde and CU@THETOP like this.
  7. jaybean

Honestly this is my gripe. A dob in system can't be the main way. Surely the govts around the world can agree to share this type of data.

8. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Did you click on the link - it's an international arrangement between about 50 participating countries to share bank account information for tax purposes.

Sure it's not property, but enough money in an account and I'm sure you'd raise a red flag to be investigated further if you were receiving the pension.

9. Terry_w

It is not easy to share data across jurisdictions. Each country has a different way or recording things, there are different languages and different privacy laws. Would you, for instance, want your personal details available to the Chinese government - what you own, etc so they can do data matching. If not then would you think a Chinese person in China would want their details passed to the Australian government? The average Chinese person has no connection to Australia. Should only those with connections here be data shared? If so how is this defined. What about the 100,000 people named Zhang Ziyi. How do you distinguish them? What if they sell their name differently in English for example, how to you match.

It is hard enough for the ATO to do data matching across the different states in Australia because of this. Even if they can access the information it has to be processed.

If won't happen I am afraid - except perhaps if someone dobs them in and then they have a specific name and a specific offence being investigated and then they have a reason to request confirmation from overseas.

Phantom likes this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They have troubles doing it state to state here! That's how many criminals work their magic, do something in NSW, go to qld for a holiday and lay low until things simmer down,or they start chasing the next twit . Then back to business
    But I believe this may be improving

Terry_w likes this.
  11. jaybean

Fair enough. Damn them

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

So.... which countries should I start investing in? and do I go for dole over here or look into some disability pension, plus divorce the Mrs?
    And I'll be in the market for another identification to really boost the cf+
    Better or in a couple of these ;) ;) or someone will get upset

13. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Oh wow I'm new to this. :rolleyes:

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Lot's of people are prepared to cheat and lie, and they can ride a system like ours, I see people doing it all the time. Nothing new.

Go and hang around the Bankstown area for a while and you will notice a large amount of people with disability parking passes that are without a doubt at least as fit as the average person, or, they just do not care and park in disabled spots anyway.

Watched one while waiting on someone one night, they filled the whole boot and back seat with nappies from woolies parked in the disabled spot, none present were disabled, well shaggers back maybe.....that would be it. They think others not taking advantage are just stupid, that is how a few of them had explained what they do to me.

When I was younger, we used to leave money out for the milkman, the paper was help yourself and you left your payment there, not many places where this happens anymore, not in Sydney suburbs I know.

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my understanding is tthat they have random audits- like the tax random stuff and maybe less than ato for the reasons you have mentioned. The killer being privacy laws and procedural stuff between countries - prohibitive and difficult, however they do have some cross border information sharing in place.

16. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

True virtually hard to detect. For Korean and Chinese ppl the arrangement of names are different for example surname first then first name like Lee Siu loong, add a Christian name in front and u got the arrangement of Bruce Lee Siu loong. When they get to Australia they can come up with various of combinations of the name with the arrangement. Like Siu loong Lee, or Bruce Lee or Bruce Siu loong Lee. Theoretically they can different individuals but also the same. Throw in shell companies & trusts & entities and u got urself a lot of investigating to do.

Phantom likes this.
  17. Terry_w

Don't forget the damage a hyphen can do!

legallyblonde, EN710 and melbournian like this.
  18. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

You are upset at the government because they are committing fraud and not declaring things that they should?

legallyblonde, Waldo and Gockie like this.
  19. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

I agree. Hiding assets to get the pension is not right however it shouldn't matter if you are overseas or not one your receive it. You've worked hard and paid taxes overt a lifetime

20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't think so it's the other way around in nth nsw the OMC that had all their business models set-up on the gold coast now run the clubs from the boarder towns,and just cross the state line each day,unless it's murder or rape then they know full well to obtain a arrest warrant interstate can take time or they change one letter in their name,,or if you want to see welfare cheats walk into any inland front bar of any hotel in nth nsw ,and see just how many people are on sit down money ,mostly young and work for cash,.