NSW Central Coast or South Coast?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by J.L., 18th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Up coming in prices will be Lake Haven ... Walk to shopoing centre and 5 minute drive to freeway.. 1 hour North of Sydney .

2. J.L.

J.L. Member

OK so around the Central Coast then, what areas should I be considering for CG?

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If it was me thinking of buying i'd go something close to all the amenities (eg. Something a short walk to shops), or with water views/right on a beach... failing that my next choice would be something near a train station (away from the train line but a walk to trains) for the Commuter market.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I own in both the Central Coast and Shellharbour.

My view is if you can afford to wait do it!

Both places have ridden on the back of Sydney and are quite high...maybe not the top but near it.

I own in Woy Woy....it is now 500k.....same thing with Barrack Heights...both have doubled in value. Also own a T/H in Watanobbi....bought for 232k...bank value was 360k...I think the market value is 380-390k. So you are buying in a market that has moved quite a bit.

5. markson

markson Well-Known Member

How long until the wave breaks for the South Coast @sash ? Got Nowra up 10% this year and 42% last 3 years riding the back of the Sydney boom.

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I think Nowra will still growing..not sure when it will end.

That area was on the nose..now with all the Seachangers...who knows..but great returns...what was the buy in price?

7. Gockie

I'm in 2 minds...
    1.I have to agree with Sash in that's its not really the time to buy Central Coast (or Illawarra).

The time to buy Central Coast is when you have a lot of forced sellers, everybody is losing their jobs, share market is collapsing.... (GFC style) at that time, there's lots of people looking to offload holiday homes.

That's the time to buy. Now if/when it will happen... I can't say.

But on the other hand.... Perhaps Sydney is so intrinsically expensive houses in the CC won't ever drop that far back again, and Central Coast is now considered commuting distance to Sydney. Whereas 10 years ago the CC was much more "holiday house" territory for rich folk, plus locals working local jobs (or employed by Centrelink). It wasn't considered a place to live for commuters as places closer in to Sydney weren't hideously expensive to buy.

But seeing houses 600-700k or more in the area does make me think you get so much more bang for buck in other states....

Last edited: 26th Apr, 2016
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sorry to break your bubble...but the market there has moved significantly. A mate of mine bought in Gorokan in May 2012 for 207k and sold for 345k...he missed getting 380k by 3 months ago. He sold late last year.

9. J.L.

J.L. Member

We can wait, but what are the more reasonable suburbs to consider? I'm told to stay away from Umina Beach...

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I do think the types of buyers in CC have changed...mote OOs. Value should hold well.

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

@Gockie that's generally got to be true for buying real estate in any area, not just the Central Coast surely? .......and nothing I can see happening anytime soon ;)

12. Gockie

Agree, I think the GFC isnt ever going to happen again anytime soon.... that was a great time to pick up homes in the Central Coast. And no, I didn't buy one. :(
    Neighbour has one though and he might Airbnb that.

Since Sydney's become so expensive the Central Coast has become part of the commuter belt in a much larger way than ever before. Commuting to Sydney/suburban Sydney would not be my cup of tea though.

13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Thanks for reviving this thread. It is getting me interested in exploring CC as an option. As a first stage I am thinking about renting there for a while to get a feel about the area and commute since I am working in the city.

Which area do you recommend for a small young family commuting to city every day?

14. Propertunity

I suspect it is not your family commuting to city every day - but just yourself?
    What budget are you thinking of? (as this will determine a lot) Driving or catching the train?

15. hash_investor

Yes, i prefer the train.

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

17. Propertunity

.......and budget?

Follow the train line on a map from Woy Woy - Gosford - Wyong - Warnervale and stations in between, and check out those suburbs.

18. hash_investor

looking to rent. Budget is not an issue but let us say I am not looking to rent a house with a big back yard. Something like a townhouse or villa would be ideal

19. Propertunity

Something then around Woy Woy or Gosford train stations - as both have Express trains to SYD.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.