Census docs delivered to my I.P

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Abooking, 9th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Abooking

Abooking Well-Known Member

Facts:
    I live abroad and last year changed my status at the ATO to be a non resident of oz. I sold my principle residence a few yrs ago. The ATO have my accountants address. My drivers license is registered to my folks address. Years ago I told the nsw voting crowd that Im living abroad. I evidently dont know what database the ABS will be working from.

The underlying question is......
    Can I presume that I'm not subjected to a 180 a day nanny state fine for not participating in the census. An accurate answer is appreciated as it will save me spending 1 hour on hold calling the hotline number.

thanks in advance

2. NewGuyACT

NewGuyACT Active Member

You are not located in the country on census night so you're fine. The residents of your IP will need to fill it out if you have any.

This information is available on the website.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Census documents were delivered to every residence addressed to "the resident". If your property is tenanted then they will fill out the form.
    Marg

Dean Collins likes this.
  4. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Can your census form be used to prove main residence and avoid CGT one day? :)

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would tell you but I haven't seen the questions yet ;)

Is the ABS Census online yet?

6. joel

joel Well-Known Member

When do we have to do this census thing by?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mail it.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Dont you just change the electoral role address as needed?

I kept my qld drivers licence for a couple of years cause it was so much cheaper than nsw.i had a mail redirection in place til i realised what "postal address" meant :D

9. menty

menty Well-Known Member

What if your property was vacant?

10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

@Simon L I have like many others; concerns with not only the data security within the 2016 census but to the pointy end of your comment; the creation of an SLK for each and every online census respondent. I believe there are no less than 14 government agencies' separate data that will become linked as one with this SLK.

The example you cite is a highly plauible use-case for such a thing. The ATO is one such gov department that will likely have linked data access based on street address occupant respondents in the census. Totally big brother stuff. Totally Orwellian.

I would be very careful with how one answers the census, knowing this. Not suggesting anyone out there be dishonest, but just suggesting that people ponder their answers carefully based on data you have already given to various gov departments previously; as this will no doubt all be SLK linked in Australia's version of the future.

Simon L likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi
    Where did you get the information about the slk being linked to 'no less than 14’ agencies?

12. NewGuyACT

NewGuyACT Active Member

Wrong. I suggest you review the Census and Statistics Act. Unless the law changes, which is fundamental in any census and been this way for 100 years the information will not be and has never been shared that identifies an individual - even to courts. It's vital that the ABS remains independent to get an accurate picture. If this law was even thought about being changed it would be massive.

Source: me. I used to work at the ABS as a software engineer on a previous census.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Lucky you didn't say this census or I would be sending you a bill for $360 as it took me 3 nights to complete the census (2x$180) and if the ABS feels like fining people for $180 per day for not completing then I feel $180 is justified for the ABS not having the capacity to let me complete it.

14. bob shovel

It hasn't passed sept 23 so you and the abs can both keep the magical $180

NewGuyACT likes this.
  15. NewGuyACT

NewGuyACT Active Member

Since when was the ABS fining people for not completing it on census night? Oh wait, they're not because you have until September to do it... cool story though.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Took me around 15 mins to complete for multiple people.... no where near that bad. Once you complete person 1, the subsequent people are pretty quick to complete.

Don't know what people are complaining about.

17. bob shovel

Unfortunately the sheeple of Australia are quite unintelligent and social media helps us hear the people that should be squashed

18. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction @NewGuyACT

I must have been misinformed. There has been a number of news sources clearly spreading misinformation about the SLK data linkage, then.