Census 2016

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 3rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Was to me as well. I watched a video about so could be BS hence asking Paul.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What ?

3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

See questions x 2 :)

4. Paul@PAS

ATO are not a Ministerial Department but a non-corporate entity tasked with management of tax law. They dont make law but have powers similiar to making laws. eg issue rulings and determinations etc Treasury (Minister = Treasurer) propose tax laws that the Government make.

ATO descibe themselves as :

The ATO is a non-corporate Commonwealth entity within the Treasury portfolio and serves two Ministers:

• Treasurer, the Hon Scott Morrison MP
    • Minister for Revenue and Financial Services, the Hon Kelly O'Dwyer MP.
    The ATO is led by Chris Jordan AO, Commissioner of Taxation and Registrar of the Australian Business Register, and is supported by the Executive Committee and various other corporate committees.

Its possible not to have an ABN and then incur a fine.

Perthguy and Colin Rice like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Its not a corporate entity so that may be correct. In some cases the Ministers may be the appropriate person if it relates to making law. ATO can only do what tax law permits. Commissioner only has power to follow law or to ignore some laws.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Paul@PFI @Colin Rice

It's just another conspiracy theory that we can't be forced to pay individual income tax in Australia because ATO is not a legal entity and paying tax is voluntary (hint: it's not). I wrote a post to explain it but this is more concise and accurate:-

Nothing more than find-and-replace twaddle. I seriously doubt the claims are true in a Canadian context, but it doesn’t require in-depth research to demonstrate that these are not claims that have any relevance to Australia.
    However, it probably isn’t worth investing a lot of time in this kind of research. Conspiracy theorists aren’t actually interested in weighing the evidence and drawing a reasonable conclusion based on the facts; they’re committed to a belief system, and they will ignore evidence that demonstrates that belief system is wrong, no matter how overwhelming and no matter how twisted their initial premises.
    Ask LH: How Can I Prove Anti-Tax Conspiracy Theorists Are Wrong?

Yes, good BS detector. :)

Colin Rice likes this.
  7. Newyproperty

Newyproperty Well-Known Member

I don't about that, but I would think that $800m is nowhere near accurate. Super computers would cost $50-80m mark. You'd need a whole load of power as well to keep that thing running... You couldn't have it anywhere.

Most government departments would not need anywhere near that power, as I said before a lot of them are using SAPHANA - think of these as mini super computers.

8. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I for many reasons will this time not be filling out any correct answers on the census.

If they wish to fine me for putting down incorrect answers, then they must also know the answers through other sources, and if so, why do they need to ask at all?

Ed Barton likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What do we call Australian "trailer trash"?
    I'm not sure what would be worse.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I was anticipating the touchy lefties jumping on that one Ed ;)

11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I think you've misunderstood me or perhaps I've misunderstood you.

Hitler used, in part, census information to hunt down Jews and other 'undesirables'. That was my reference to Jews, gays and gypsies. The 'if you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide' argument is a steaming pile of horse manure. A census has a purpose and catching tax cheats is not that purpose. Making a census a tool for tracking tax cheats et al lessens it's accuracy.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've heard something about this, wasn't there less jews in the census than supposedly got killed in the holocaust?
    I'm no history buff.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia