Ceiling screw pop

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Emboon, 22nd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

I have noticed a few screw popping out of my bathroom ceiling after getting exhaust fan installed.

Can anyone with experience advise how I can tell if this is something structural that I need to be worried of?

Do I need to hire a structural engineer to go into roof area to check structural integrity?

Photos in the link..
    Imgur

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

They are not screws.

They are eggs of aliens about to hatch.... only kidding! But they are actually NAILS (I was going to ask why you had screws in your ceiling).

How old is the place? Usually of no structural concern IMHO at this level.

The Y-man

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I believe that I have a screw loose too but that's another story. :confused:

craigc and The Y-man like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Very common. Really easy fix.

You add a plaster screw to each side of the popped nail (~2 centimeters away - screwed through the plasterboard into the batten or beam above (should end up a mm or so under the surface - but not break through into the plasterboard)

Then either extract the popped nail or punch it up into the ceiling with a nail punch.

Then put 3 layers of plaster compound on (as per CSR instructions) or some cellulose filler, let each layer dry then sand and paint).

Older houses had plasterboard fixed with nails and without glue so sometimes the nails pop with house movement. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2020
    David_SYD and The Y-man like this.
  5. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

Place is around 11-12 yrs old. I believe these are screws/nails that are used to attached the plasterboard to ceiling joists?

I said screw because that's what the sparky told me and a bit of googling said it can be nails or screws so went with screws :)

Damnn aliens invading my home! :D

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2020
  6. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

Thank you! I was just worried that suddenly these nails started to pop out within a few weeks of installing the exhaust fan, I saw another new one this morning.

Some articles say it can cause ceiling collapse too. :O

I asked my partner about the installation as he was the one talking to sparky and he said there was a notch made on the ceiling joist to accommodate the duct of the fan. (Not sure if ceiling joist is the correct term but it's one of those horizontal timber where the ceiling is attached). We asked the sparky and he said don't be concerned about the slight notch on timber since the timber is not load bearing.

Just wanted to get a few opinions here as I find the members here in PC forum very knowledgeable and experienced.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A popped nail or two is really common. Just fix it or get it fixed.

8. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Both.

Plasterboard is supposed to be fixed in a certain way and at specific intervals (see the CSR plaster installation guide on their website). This ensures that it stays adhered to the ceiling frame.

It is unlikely that 2 popped screws would bring the ceiling down. But the ceiling should be screwed as per manufacturer’s instructions so I would get on to it reasonably soon.

And it looks a bit odd to have a popped nail.

If you want some help - just get a plasterer or reputable handyperson in.

10. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

There not nails
    They are screws

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Slip of the mouse - but the advice still stand.

A plasterboard fixing has popped and needs to be replaced.

12. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Could be the weight of the exhaust fan if its an IXL or could be a moisture issue because it wasn't ducted probably.

It's not just a matter of re screwing it up that's half a job.
    You need to get in the roof see if the gyprock is sagging and if it is dab a bit of stud adhesive between the timber and the gyprock then u screw it. But not through the glue as this also pops them.

13. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

What's more concerning is the notched joist. Without seeing a pic I don't know what to say.

However as a rule you never joists or trusses. And if you do you would batten out the other side

14. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

Yeah the sparky seems to say it is not load bearing and by the time he done it, it was too late to say no. :(

15. Emboon

Emboon Well-Known Member

Its ducted outside but theres a bit of gap in the sides so I reckon some exhaust does go into roof but we do have a ventilated roof with whirlybirds.

Never been in the roof but how can I tell if roof is sagging?

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Sagging should be obvious from looking at it from within the room!

You could also just lay a long ‘straight edge’ on the ceiling and see if there is a hump. (Note: it is normal for plaster joints to have a slight curve though).

But be wary about making a mountain out of a molehill.

If the screws have recently popped, then just fix them up. if it keeps happening,then investigate further but otherwise don’t worry.

17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Those screws can be fixed and reset,but it would be best to have a quick in the roof section and see how the exhaust fan is installed and supported that could be the reason or the sparky stepped on the wrong place.imho.