Ceiling leak in rental

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Cimbom, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

We are currently renting an apartment in the eastern suburbs of Sydney and today noticed yellow stains on the ceiling cornices and water leaking from these spots. I'm guessing it's due to the rain last night. We have been here for over 3 months and haven't had this before.

Do we wait until Monday to let the PM know or is it something we should deal with ourselves? We have moved our furniture away from the walls and are trying to protect the carpet.

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Hi there,

The legislation varies slightly from state to state however given you are in NSW, the relevant information you're looking for can be found here. There are different reporting requirements and subsequent options from a tenant's point of view depending on whether the repairs are deemed urgent and "those which are not so urgent"

You'll note it states "serious roof leak" and although that is slightly subjective, I would suggest that if the leak is spilling significant amounts of water into the premises that is likely to cause further damage to the property or contents, or presents a safety hazard, then it's urgent. If it's leaking and you can maybe put a bucket under it and it's dripping a little bit, maybe not. You've said you've had to move furniture and protect the carpet however so it's really a judgement call on your part.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to send an email to the PM to keep them informed because as always, timely and regular communication is the key. As a side note, if it's in the ceiling it's more than likely going to be a body corporate issue meaning the PM is going to have to liaise with the strata managers (if there is one representing the owners corporation), the owner of the apartment, yourself and the trades to have it rectified...which, from experience, can be very cumbersome!

Good luck! :)

- Andrew

Last edited: 29th Oct, 2016
    wylie and vbplease like this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'd email the agent now and hopefully they will be on it on Monday.

wylie and Joynz like this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Email immediately so you can show you reported the issue as soon as possible.
    I would also phone on Monday to make sure the email has been received.
    Marg

JacM and wylie like this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Are you on the top floor or is there a unit above?

If there's another unit above, knock on their door, tell 'em you got yellow liquidy stains on the ceiling and if they'd mind not peeing on the floor.

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I would email the PM straight away with pics too. I would also ask the unit above to check if they have any obvious water leaks from their plumbing. If you can see any obvious problems on the outside of the building (roof, window flashings etc) it would be helpful to include your observations (with any useful pucs) in your correspondence to the PM. Don't put yourself in danger trying to gather information though of course.

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

The leak is from the upstairs neighbours hot water system. It has been switched off. I emailed the PM yesterday about the issue and included a photo. Today I also sent text messages to the manager of the REA (he is down as one of the emergency contacts on our lease) with photos and he advised that he thinks it's fine for today and the PM will deal with it tomorrow. Hopefully it is all resolved quickly

EN710 and JacM like this.