Ceiling Height rules-if any- for retail stores-Queensland

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by fivestarkk, 18th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fivestarkk

fivestarkk New Member

Hi all,
    I am new here and is my first post.
    recently took a small shop for retail grocery business, its like below an existing shop I.e. the roof of my shop is the floor of the above shop) of course a false ceiling is there to accommodate the electrical wiring etc.

i wish to know, are there any ceiling height restrictions to do retail business in Queensland.

I checked with City Council (business development team through telephone) and they said they do not consider the ceiling height and it is up to Building certifier to check. the lowest height is 1920 mm ( as a passage area where there is water tap and sink. There used to be a small repair shop before.
    the heights are at 2060mm and 2405mm.
    May please let me know any information on this.
    Regards
    KK

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

2400 mm for any space classified as retail, anything less is storage or non-habitable/service space WH bathroom or corridors.

3. fivestarkk

fivestarkk New Member

Thanks a lot Scott for the quick reply.

While i take measures to do correct fitting, may i know, which government authority exactly i need to contact to get a clear and formal approval, if at all i need a formal approval prior to setting up.

Or

if i take a reasonably suitable measures to increase the height, and start my business, (as i asked the council as per my first post), at what stage they would or might come for checking/inspection. ?
    Regards
    kk