ceiling fans or air con

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by melbourne171, 24th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I have just bought an IP in Brisbane. PM feedback is to install either ceiling fans or air cons in bed rooms because summer comes soon. He advised ceiling fans will save my money.

What are your thought?
    I am interstate. Do you know any good suppliers or reliable tradies to install ceiling fans?
    How much do you think they cost for 4 bedrooms house?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ceiling fans bedrooms. Master may need air con depends on the house
    1 or 2 air cons for living areas depending on the size.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We generally put air-con into living room and (not always) main bedrooms. Slowly we have added to main bedrooms as tenants leave. It is like decks and dishwashers used to be 15 years ago - we lost tenants due to not having them.

We call up Leighton Hills (0429 145 553) and ask him to buy and install a fan when we need to install one (or replace one). We tell him the room size (bedroom or large living room etc) and whether we want white or stainless and give him the tenant's number to arrange entry and he does the rest.

kierank and melbourne171 like this.
  4. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Split in the living area, fans in the bedrooms.

5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Your PM isn't thinking like an investor! If he was, for a few reasons, I would respectfully suggest it's the other way around - air con will make you money.

As an investor it's not just about the cost of installation in dollar terms ;)

- Andrew

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2016
    Lil Skater and wylie like this.
  6. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

If you dont have a electrical wiring for the ceiling fan, which you probably wont, then you will have to get a light ceiling fan combo. I recently put this in my house, even though i do have a air con for the living and dining area, ceiling fans are much much cheaper to run, so i decided to put them in. They cost $120 a fan, plus labour. I only crank the air con on high humidity high temp days.

With fans you need to consider the ceiling height of your unit. If you have a lower ceiling height then i would look at air con. Also, if its a unit, you need to check if there are body corporate by laws that prevent air con units being placed on balconies or the Outside of the building, as this is common area. If you have a bedroom or a lounge room that has western facing walls, then that is the rooms you would want to air con first, as the sun goes down at 7.30ish in summer, and that side of the unit will be hot as, and will require the air con the most.

Angel and melbourne171 like this.
  7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Good point. My trusted PM has advised a fully ducted reverse cycle system with zones over a split in the main living area and master bedroom for a battleax retain and build at rear, yet building broker is saying do splits as its 50% of the cost and fans to bedrooms. Im leaning towards the fully ducted reverse cycle system with zones as this is a winner with prospective tenants over splits. PM also advised to install a dishwasher for same reason.

8. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

This temporary solution to rent out the house. The house will be demolished when DA application is approved.

Rebecca and Colin Rice like this.
  9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Go the budget option then :)

wylie likes this.
  10. MyPropertyPro

How long are you expecting before demolition?

Joynz likes this.
  11. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

I think air con - at least in the bedrooms - is a must. Many tenants don't even want to know about a property without air conditioning now as it just gets so hot in summer and if they have little children then they'll almost definitely want it. Also depending on where you are and what type of property you have, you can ask for a little more in rent as well.

Also, if you put split system air-conditioners in, they can be removed if the property is being demolished and re-installed in another house :)

Angel likes this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Be aware that you need to get a professional to uninstall the a/c. You can't just disconnect it - due to the gas.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Fans can be installed on any standard 2.4m ceiling so height won't be an issue. I have them in my IP which has standard height ceilings.

Wiring the fan to a wall switch requires a wire from the fan to the switch. This is the case whether it is a light/ fan combo or just a fan.

However, you can get around this with a unit that uses a remote control. However, remotes can often malfunction or get lost so I suggest that you consider spending a little extra to get the fan hard wired.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd bother with fans or a/ c then?

Brady and Ed Barton like this.
  15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Are you new to Brisbane?

A fan in the bedroom is fine.

kierank and Joynz like this.
  16. MyPropertyPro

Agreed. Might depend on the expected time frame (which is why I enquired) however if the house is going to be demolished I would reconsider the need for either.

Rebecca likes this.
  17. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

No, I'm actually a Brisbane native, and also an experienced Property Manager who speaks with tenants all day every day and thus am able to comment on what it is that tenants are most often requesting.

WallyB66 likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

Give us your pitch...

19. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Not sure why you're trying to attack me, but good day to you, I'm here to offer advice that is requested :)

20. Ed Barton

There's your pitch!

Rebecca likes this.