ceasar stone splash back

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Just-An-Investor, 24th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Just-An-Investor

Just-An-Investor Active Member

We are renovating our kitchen and were looking at options for splashback. We pretty much decided on going with Ceasarstone benchtop. We also decided on using the same material as splashback. However, I have been told by one of the stone company that if we use a gas cooktop there could be problems with the material. On the contrary another stone company said that should not be a problem. Have any of you come across this situation and what splashback material did you use with gas cooktop. The other alternatives proposed were glass and porcelain tile.
    Thanks for any help in this matter

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Caesarstone certainly isn't combustible and there are no issues using Caesarstone as a splashback with a gas cooktop. The only requirement is that there is a minimum clearance of 200mm between the splashback and burner element itself. This might be an issue with 600mm benchtops.

Just-An-Investor likes this.
  3. Just-An-Investor

Thank you for your reply. He was mentioning the samething. He is now proposing tiles or glass. How sturdy are these options with surface hardness and heat resistance?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You would need to check the materials safety data sheet for the product to be used to confirm however I have bit heard of issues with glass or tiles.

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Laminam

@ the same ( sometimes cheaper) than the stone you are considering

Better heat and UV and impact and scratch resistance than the stone you are considering

No problem whatsoever using it behind gas cooktop...

http://livingtiles.com.au/product-category/laminam-xl/i-naturali

There is only one supplier in each major state. You are in ACT so you will need Living Tiles in NSW. They will also provide you with a list of stonemasons who are skilled in this product.

pennanthills_web017.jpg pennanthills_web007.jpg

Just-An-Investor and KateSydney like this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

From a design perspective, isnt some contrast good? corners are hard to see if the benchtop and splashback are the same colour.

7. Just-An-Investor

Wow looks great. I will have to probably go with Porcelain tile to make it close to the benchtop pattern

8. euro73

That’s essentially what Laminam is - a large , fibreglass reinforced porcelain tile . You can find it with patterns or in multiple Matt / plain colours as well , so it may still be suitable for what you want .

9. alps

alps Well-Known Member

As much as I love caeserstone, the problem i've found with it is that it stains easy, so if you're going with a light colour I would not recommend it for a splashback in front of an oven.
    Laminam is very cool. From memory, panel sizes are 3000*1000. Would love to do a bathroom or countertop with it with minimal grout lines :)

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've had gas cooktop with a stone splashback for over a decade. No issues whatsoever.

11. euro73

3240 x 1620 actually. Im not sure anyone has come up with anything larger in the 18 months or so since we did our reno...but at the time that was pretty much the largest slab size available in any material.

1 slab did the island.
    1 slab did the rear benchtop and splashback and left offcuts for 2 x large cutting boards
    1 slab did 3 bathroom benchtops

pennanthills_web011.jpg pennanthills_web026.jpg pennanthills_web024.jpg pennanthills_web006.jpg pennanthills_web022.jpg pennanthills_web027.jpg pennanthills_web003.jpg

The other cool option may be glass reinforced concrete... that seems to be getting more and more popular. Im not sure how large they can go with that but I assume they can go pretty big??

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2019
  12. alps

alps Well-Known Member

very nice euro73.
    what thickness laminam did you go with? Guessing you purchased from Livingstone?

13. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Concrete benchtops are super cool atm (personally love them in black with a lot of black oxide thrown in :)). Even seen examples where they have mixed marble slabs with concrete slabs in one benchtop. Done in-situ and no limits to sizing.

14. euro73

Living tiles on Victoria Road in Rozelle is the NSW Laminam distributor