Cbus vs Australian Super

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Silverson, 30th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

As per title, if you have balances with both funds, which would you roll into/keep and why?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not sure how Aust Super is performing this year, CBus is around 5% on high growth (riskier) and slightly higher on the default (safer) option.

Other funds that I keep an eye on aren't performing as well considering the state of the ASX & overseas markets.

CBus has been a solid performer for me (at least) compared to other funds I have joined over the years - I have kept this one going and roll over my balances into this one.

Silverson likes this.
  3. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

I am with Australian Super as a supplementary accumulation fund to my employers DB fund and invest in a 50/50 mix of High/Balanced and to date the performance is 5.98/6.20 respectively. In comparison my DB fund is about ~6.1%.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Issues which may mean there is logic to retaining two funds include life insurance etc However you will incur two sets of admin fees etc. The choice of which fund is one of financial advice and commonly past performance may be one indicator but it may be irrelevant for future performance. The two funds could even have very different strategies eg one is growth and other is conservative / capital secure.

5. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

6. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

AustralianSuper as they have a socially aware (ethical) pre-mix which has reasonable returns over the long term.

7. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

One reason to have multiple funds is to keep concessional and non-concessional separate as much as possible. At some point (when retired) you can will withdraw and re-contribute from the concessional fund. You won't benefit, nor does your spouse but any adult children might be thankful...

8. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

9. Scott No Mates

CBUS is one of very few superfunds which is investing directly into construction projects to benefit its members. It is the default fund for the construction industry hence has a vested interest in development. All industry funds are associated with their unions hence they are industry funds.

By cutting out investment in large scale development from your investment perspective are you achieving equivalent returns from your fund?

10. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I am not against industry funds, it is just CBUS i dont like. I am with Australian Super. I like the investment ethos of CBUS just not how it is operated.

11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

12. Scott No Mates

Of course it's different, it's now.

Still it's commercial lending not contributing to the dearth of residential development.