CBA Likely ERA Costs

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by jaydee, 18th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Thanks in advance.

I am normally reasonable at calculations, but I am not familiar with wholesale swap rates and other such financial jargon.

I have several CBA loans that are currently variable P&I ( IO 15 year limits are well and truly used up!). I can switch to a fixed rate (one or two years) at 2.69% from my current variable rate of 3.36% which would seem like a no brainer, however, given that my plan is to sell one property per financial year (as part of my retirement strategy) I am wondering if I should fix all loans. The CBA has Early Repayment Adjustments (ERA) on Fixed Loans and it is not clear what these extra costs could be given that they are subject to the “wholesale swap fees” as part of the ERA calculation.

Could any broker please advise a ballpark figure for the CBA ERA for the following hypothetical example:
    A sale of an individual IP if I fixed now at 2.69% and it sold in 9 months into a 2 year fixed period that had a loan balance of $250,000.

Data sheet from bank says it is Loan Balance x (period remaining at Fixed Rate) x Difference in Swap Rates

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

X is an unknown quantity

A call to the lender will yield an exact figure

ta
    rolf

3. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Fix for 1 year and potential break isnt as big?

Considering they can get money at 0.25% off the RBA I would be treading carefully as their loss is difference between retaill sell and wholesale buy rates.