Education & Work Casual Uni Teaching Job

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim & Chrissy, 3rd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I have been offered an interview for a casual teaching job at a uni in my field of expertise. I have training and lecturing experience in the workplace but no experience in a formal teaching environment.

Advice from someone with experience/knowledge in this area would be appreciated.

Terry_w likes this.
  2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

No more than very basic experience, so not much to offer othan grab it with both hands if you can accept casual terms. I've always found there are vast opportunities for those not reliant on a permanent contract (or a specific location). I used to do similar roles in allied health and hubby has somehow held on to a casual rate online teaching gig for several years that looks like a true gift horse.

Sounds like a great stepping stone even as worse case scenario.

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My experience is somewhat old but I was an Associate Lecturer and Tutor 22 years ago.

Your workplace experience is ideal, particularly if you have a Cert IV. Although that was not necessary when I was tutoring and lecturing ( for 2 years ).

Most confronting thing is if you have any large classes. I had a lecture hall with 60 predominately mature age students.

You may find teaching late teens confronting if they aren't interested in the topic ( 1st years ). People in 2nd and later years want to be there and want to succeed ( which was the case for most of my students ).

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  4. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I generally found the younger ones fantstic to work with, enthusiastic and self motivated. Older ones sometimes much higher maintenance, already know it all or have "stuff" going on. Anyway, no one said it was easy.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I bumped into one of my old lecturers this evening - he's retired (I was in his classes back in the 80's) & he still recognised me.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Tim & Chrissy

By coincidence I just finished the last face- to-face component of the Cert IV TAE today and now have 18 weeks to design a course. I've been told that VET course design is very different to Uni though so I don't know if it will be much help.

7. Tim & Chrissy

This is all the stuff I haven't really considered yet, I have similar issues at work training and supervising people older than me.

8. Tim & Chrissy

I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing :)

Showing you age mate, I was born in the 80's!

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I also find myself in that situation, although i have to review/sign-off on the work of people older than me. Some take what I hope is constructive critism well, others are more stubborn or set in their ways.

mr500 and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  10. Tim & Chrissy

I should probably also mention that I haven't been to a job interview in over 10 years...

11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I used to teach mathematics and biochem at uni as a lecurer when I was in my postgrad years - it kept me out of trouble.

3 hours of prep time for one hour of teaching is reasonable to allocate. You don't get paid for prep time.

I loved it, lots of fun and you get to learn more than the students.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Best advice I was given when I started lecturing/tutoring/training and I felt a little intimidated was:

"Walk into the room as if you have both eyes open and the students only have one".

That is not to say that you are twice as good as them as you probably are not.

It means that you can see twice as much as them due to your knowledge and experience. That is why you are being hired.

13. Tim & Chrissy

At this point I'm just hoping to get through the interview as best I can. Because I haven't held a teaching position before I have no idea how I should be preparing for interview.

kierank likes this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I have always attended interviews with the belief that I am the best/most suitable on the interview list and the interview is for me to decide whether It is in my best interest to accept this role.

Might be a tad arrogant but I have never missed out on a job that I really wanted .... :) :).

Gockie and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The Ugly Truth About Constructive Criticism

16. Tim & Chrissy

It's a good strategy and I present work lectures with a similar level of confidence.

I guess I'll just head in and give it my best shot and if I come across as inexperienced/a novice in parts I'll have to make it up in other areas.

kierank likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is it for lecture or tutes? Either way, the course convenor should be providing slides and general instructions. Fantastic if you can embed some of your personal experience during the class. If it is undergrads, just be prepared for some serious non-engagement, and that will be the hardest part trying to get them on board (or even turn up in some cases).

Also, the interview may be to build a pool of sessionals, so don't be too freaked out if you don't hear anything back.

Similarly, be prepared for them to call you the day before the first class asking you to take the class - happens often at our uni, as the convenor does not know the enrollment numbers until about 2 weeks before (and enrollments will remain open until week 2~ish), and if there is a large influx, they may need to set up another class. In our case, the convenor then had to apply to the head of school for a sessional staff approval, and that took 2 weeks, so by the time the approval came through, it was already the start of semester. I got the call saying "can you come in tomorrow?" :D

The Y-man

kierank likes this.
  18. Tim & Chrissy

I believe it may be both tutorials and lectures, mainly turorials though. I have to put together a lesson plan for interview, managed to find some templates from other disciplines at the same uni.

This would be a second job (which they know) so while I have a bit of flexibility I won't be able to drop everything for them should I get the job. In saying that, this may eventually be a full-time career change if it works out (and I'm too broke to become a property developer :p).

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Tim & Chrissy

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I've been a sessional (casual) lecturer and tutor since 2000 as a second job. I am at that stage where my "day job" has ended so I am looking at making the academic job the main one :)

If you get a regular gig, it does wonders for your serviceability too ;)

The Y-man

20. Tim & Chrissy

Thanks, I'll shoot you a message tomorrow.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia