NSW Castle Hill and Surrounds

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Upgrader_521, 29th Dec, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Upgrader_521

Upgrader_521 Well-Known Member

So I have just finished reading all 48 pages of posts on the Baulkham Hills thread and numerous other hill shire related threads in here. Whew!

We moved to Castle hill from Melbourne earlier this month and are renting for next 6 months or so. Our plan is to buy a house by June 2023.

Broadly we are looking for -

[Req1] Budget of $1.5-2 million
    [Req2] Leafy green surroundings
    [Req3] 4+ beds with minimum 2 bathrooms, Will prefer flat single level house over sloping 2 levels, the more usable land the better.
    [Req4] Prefer old renovated house over new builds
    [Req5] Good enough primary school zone (our rental is in Excelsior). Our eldest child will start school in 2024 and youngest the year after.
    [Req6] Walking distance to city bus routes/metro. From our rental, I walk ~15 minutes uphill to nearest 615X stop.
    [Req7] Don't mind driving up to 15 minutes for weekly shopping. Though a nice cafe by walking/5 mins drive would be lovely.
    [Req8] Kids love playgrounds. We are at coolong/crestwood reserve every other day. So closer the better.
    [Req9] This house will be our home for maximum 7-8 years, will either KDRB or sell and buy 2 story largish home nearby once kids reach highschool.
    [Req10] Will be nice to see people from subcontinent at playgrounds/school every now and then but will avoid ghetto's.

Our financial situation -

We are selling our similarly priced melbourne house (east, ~700sqm, 4/2/2) and will be relocating sub 2% fixed loan over to new house. We will have maximum 6 months to settle on new property post settlement of our melbourne house expected in early Feb. So nothing changes for us financially apart from slightly higher general expenses than what we were paying in Melbourne. We work in IT and need to travel to CBD up to 2 days/week.

Why new thread?

Existing threads are too focussed on Baulkham hills and/or are primarily geared towards first home buyers. We know what we are doing (financially) and aren't timing the market. Don't care about market direction as we are selling and buying at almost same time though in different markets.

Having said that, we are new to area and most of the people we know here are either renting or have bought prior to covid boom so their knowledge is bit stale. On the other hand, many of the old timers on this forum have excellent up to date first hand knowledge and we can definitely use some of that to broaden our search beyond excelsior school zone.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Welcome to the area and thanks for reading the threads!
    * Really, pretty much all of Castle Hill is nice, I don’t know of any “ghettos”.
    * The houses tend to be not “too old” but some can use some updates.
    * Your budget is solid. You may be able to already buy a 4br 2 storey house on flat land in Castle Hill for the 2mill budget, but it depends on other buyer interest. But if you can’t get the 2 storey home, yes, a 1 storey house on flat land is a great idea for KDRB or general resal-ability.
    * The schools are well regarded (at least Castle Hill primary and High school are).
    * The High school has over 2000 kids, and not much play space. Did really well in the HSC this year.
    *I wonder if your playground requirement may be the limiting factor for your where to buy question? Personally I’d look at access to trains and the bus stops and go from there. I think after a few years the kids might want to play in your yard more than a playground (and maybe your new neighbours will have kids to play with - nice and easy!)
    *Subcontinent - yeah, I reckon you’ll see people of your heritage around, but I wouldn’t say Castle Hill area is overly Indian. I suppose I see Asian faces a lot though with the kids.
    * I will say Castle Towers shopping centre intimidates me! It’s the massive car park that does it. Suppose Parramatta Westfield is the same.

West Pennant Hills - I see you tagged it too. Nice. Look at the transport though. And the hills! And there are power lines in the area so watch for that.

chaos, Upgrader_521 and Gwynneth like this.
  3. MrsNixba

MrsNixba Well-Known Member

Welcome to the area! Strictly following your criteria (since you've looked at all the threads recommending other suburbs) my advice would be to check out the Oakhill side of Castle Hill, within the Cherrybrook Tech catchment.

Large, elevated blocks. Mix of homes to suit your needs. Plenty of parks and close to transport. Best school catchment in the Hills.

Close to the city. Race up Beecroft Rd and you're on the M2 in minutes. Multiple transport options: buses, or Cherrybrook metro.

Wider roads, larger blocks, lots of cul de sacs and family friendly living. Groceries wise, there is the smaller Cherrybrook shops or the larger option of Castle Towers. Also corner shops on David Rd.

You should find something in your budget there that ticks all your boxes, especially if you are open to a future KDRB.

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  4. CJS

CJS Well-Known Member

This is a nice area, but I would question the notion that it is as easy drive to the city via Beecroft Rd, at least during peak hour. For much of it you first have to deal with New Line Rd which, in the morning and afternoon can be diabolical. The M2 itself can also be a carpark.

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  5. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Castle Hill is quite a large area with pockets reaching out in all directions. With the North West Rail link you can get within reasonable distance of either Castle Hill Station, Showground Road Station and Cherrybrook Station. You can also access the M2 bus way at B’Hills and West Pennant Hills.
    I think what’s it’s going to come down to is what your 1.5 to 2.0 million will get you and what stock is on the market when you are ready to buy.
    The most leafy green area would be the area that goes from Knightsbridge estate ( where Samuel Gilbert school) up to Oakhill College ( Old Northern Road) and then there is a pocket on the east side of old Northern Road ( Crane Road ) that is also leafy. The third section is the Excelsior Park area, which is the older area which borders B’ Hill North School which has easier access to North Rocks.
    If you are looking to spend up to 2 million you do also have pockets of Cherrybrook and West Pennant Hills ( around Eaton Road ) and I did see a red brick home sell on the Western side of Beecroft ( Orchard RD) around that 2 million mark.
    From an investment point of view and access to the city and schools my pick would be the western side of Beecroft all the way along Murray Farm Road and Larmorna Avenue.
    For a more open, type country feel living definitely Knightsbridge area, towards Glenhaven and up towards Oakhill college is nice.

chaos, Upgrader_521 and Stockastics like this.
  6. bsar

bsar Member

I personally like the area where you're renting. Leafy and very convenient. You're fairly close to the new Waves aquatic centre and there are properties that are both in the catchment of Excelsior PS and Castle Hill High. House prices tend to be cheaper there because there are much more older, smaller homes and it's bordering Baulkham hills compared to those further north of Castle Towers. You'll find a KDRB property much easier and you'll probably find something on the lower range of your budget. The closer you are to Old Northern Road the better transport options you have with city express busses 610x, 615x, 612x, 600. All will also take you to the Castle Hill Metro (you could maybe find one within walking distance to this). On a good run, typically on the weekend, I can get to Wynyard in 35 mins. You're not too far from The Grove too which is where I'd do my food shopping because going to Castle Towers is a nightmare.

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  7. Upgrader_521

Thank you all.

We have started attending inspections and would be keenly watching auctions starting from Wednesday 25th.

Drove to multiple playgrounds in Cherrybrook and WPH as well. Most of recent value sales appear very close to electricity lines.

8. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Welcome to your new neighbourhood! We've bought hundreds of homes for buyers since 2006 in the Hills and know the area intimately.

Feel free to ask other questions as you begin your search- Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills, WPH and Cherrybrook all great family areas. They vary widely in housing types, however, and you will need to watch out for power easements, surrounding dvpt zonings (R3,R4 especially around CH close to all metros) but I think your largest challenge is going to find something sizable, on decent land (what's your minimum requirement here?) that is walking distance to metro or express bus. Prices may have come down a little since the IR hikes but demand is still strong for quietly located sizable homes in good locations in the sub $2m price bracket, especially for the more pricey CH, WPH and Cherrybrook (cheaper SOLDS in Cherrybrook almost always under power lines). Happy hunting!

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2023
    Upgrader_521 likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The Hills area has pockets (eg The Oakhill precinct, the prestigious Castleood area etc ) where homes vary in age, quality etc and school catchments can be important to some. Proximity and travel etc. Given the proximity to the Galson / Dural electricity distribution point The Hills does have some areas where high voltage towers are located but due to expansive forestry this is often over those areas. I would use the rental time to seek out local agents and learn and know the areas. I would avoid reliance on bus routes as its inevitable these buses will become a budget cut and greater reliance placed on the metro. The services were cut in 2019 but bought back ahead of an election. With the metro city extension its certain these services will change. Many older dwellings are being demo'd to rebuild.

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  10. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the area.

I grew up in Castle Hill, bought first house in Baulkham hills and now I live in West Pennant Hills.

Hills is a great area;

- Good Schools
    - Good amenities
    - Easy access to the City
    - Good family communities.
    - Decent access to beaches.

Hills has everything you want but it all depends on what you ultimately want. Prices differ much throughout the hills. Baulkham Hills gives you probably the biggest bang for your buck at your budget but you will get something livable in WPH for ~2 million with the option to do a knock down later if you want. I think some real good buying is coming up in BH over the next 6 months.

Biggest difference throughout the hills is access to the City. Castle Hill bus access goes through BH which can takes 1+ hour plus - gets on the M2 and Windsor road which is not convenient at all. Metro is also about 45 mins.

WPH has buses run through it express to the city that go straight onto M2 and pennant hills which gets you into the city in 30 mins.

if you have any specifics i'm happy to answer.

chaos, Stockastics and Upgrader_521 like this.
  11. Upgrader_521

Thanks.

Which pockets of WPH should I target for my price range?

12. TheBigDawg

hard to say - all of WPH is pretty good but it's just what's on the market. best of the best in WPH can sell for up near 6m or 7m. Avg suburb is around 2.3ish

Some good stuff has been selling in the area just below 2m - have a look at realestate.com

There's no real bad area of WPH though like others have said there are powerlines that affect the low-end properties.

the stuff near the 652x and 620x bus lines would be ideal, that is if you need to get to the CBD. pretty short drive everywhere to shops etc

Sold 15C Dean Street, West Pennant Hills NSW 2125 on 16 Dec 2022 - 2018210397 | Domain

This sold for under 1.7 which i thought was a great price. Is a battle-axe of course but that's a big house with a pool. Again, depends what you want.

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oakes Road at the border of Carlingford and WPH is the last M2 bus stop before the buses head to the city. It's super convenient, you can catch any bus service from the Hills.
    The other end of WPH has the metro trains (Cherrybrook station). If you can be walking distance to this or Oakes Rd bus stop, it will be really convenient. Note hills (road steepness) may be a challenge near the metro.

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  14. TheBigDawg

there is also the 620x that goes from dural throug cherrybrook and WPH. Gets on the M2 at pennant hills road.

I get it at cardinal ave and I’m usually in the city just over half and hour with ok traffic

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  15. Upgrader_521

Very useful insights :)

Attended many auctions yesterday ranging from Rouse Hill to Castle Hill and most were passed in unless agent had got coffee van to drop by ;).

Anyway this property popped up in my sold filter. Apparently it sold for $1.575M and is NOT a t-junction/irregular block/transmission line rundown property. Couldn't inspect or attend its auction.

Those who know this area - can you comment on whether this is par price or prices indeed are coming down? :confused:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-castle+hill-141146228

57 George Mobbs Drive, Castle Hill.png

16. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Don't know the area, but the bedrooms (and some of the other rooms) are small. That sloped roof on the left side kills off a LOT of space, so it's really not a very big house (134sqm internal).Garage is separate to the house.
    Definitely not top grade.

Last edited: 29th Jan, 2023
  17. lladro1

lladro1 Member

There is a massive tree in front of the house and a few at the back. it’s Baulkham hills north catchment as opposed to castle hill..

the layout is also multi level…

18. Jacque

Transmission line affected - go for a drive and see for yourself. There’s always a reason for a lower sale…

Upgrader_521 and lladro1 like this.
  19. SydneyFrenzy

SydneyFrenzy Member

I was there at the auction, seemed like a decent house. Yes land was sloped, yes it was tiered, not maximising space etc and lots of trees, but I didn't see any transmission lines going through the property...am I missing something here or am I blind? :):D

Upgrader_521 likes this.
  20. Jacque

There are different types of power lines through the Hills- not the super high voltage tension lines but still the type that puts buyers off. Some buyers don’t like to be within 50m of them, or even sub transmission access boxes (the big green ones in underground power supplied suburbs like The Ponds) Each to their own but it could have been a detractor for some buyers. Still a reasonable buy in this part of Castle Hill though at that price.

Upgrader_521 and SydneyFrenzy like this.