Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

QLD Cashflow in SE Queensland

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Inov8ive, 24th Aug, 2015.

1. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I am flying in to GC at the end of September and am doing some research on properties in SE Queensland. I need to add something to my portfolio that will add some cash flow to the overall portfolio and also still pick up some nice CG from the boom that we are anticipating to start in Brisbane in the next 12 months. What areas would be worth researching for good capital growth and positive cashflow? Lol I suppose this is the million dollar question right? I suppose the Logan area would fit this bill, am thinking about an upstairs/downstairs dual occ. but I would like to hear thoughts on some other places to consider. I am not much of a regional investor, I like my capital cities and renovating certainly doesnt scare me.

Tekoz likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would prefer to stick to city over regional, and not older properties, cashflow can quickly change from positive to negative due to age of property.

You can achieve cashflow positive with new townhouses in Thomastown, only 17km from Melbourne CBD.

I am currently building townhouses in this area and it works out at around $2000 pa cashflow per townhouse, that equates to around $8000 pa, quite attractive for investors IMO. Currently putting together packages including depreciation schedules for investors, this is predominantly FHB market.

Check out townhouses near the railway and new product/townhouses would be the way to go. Land has gone up considerably in the area, end values will catch up, starting to move. Do your own homework. .

MTR:)

Last edited: 26th Aug, 2015
    cheekykoon and Tekoz like this.
  3. Inov8ive

Thanks MTR.
    I will definitely be looking at some town houses when I'm up there. I personally do like older places in great locations but I suppose it is because I am a carpenter by trade. I can usually do a relatively quick renovation to get a good rental return for limited spend so it makes sense to make use of those skills. Any info on your townhouses yet? Make sure you keep us posted on them.

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Well there is ...Ipswich. 30 mins from the CBD. 6%. Not for the snobs...

5. Inov8ive

I have looked at certain pockets, but its not for me. If I were to ever go outside a capital city, there would need to be ocean. Lots of ocean and sand.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

... but you are not going to be living in it?

York, Dangsta, MBO and 1 other person like this.
  7. Inov8ive

Yes but that doesn't mean that I don't have certain criteria for investment. For me, if its not a capital city then it needs to be coastal.

Toon and Azazel like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Me too. I worked out mine are under 15kms of the water max. I didn't even know that was my strategy ;)

Inov8ive likes this.
  9. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Mine are all no more than 5 minutes' drive to the water. It wasn't initially part of the strategy but my wife and I realised whilst inspecting IP2 to buy that it was something we liked about our PPOR and conveniently noted that we had unknowingly done the same thing with IP1 without realising it so now we stick to it.

10. cherubym

cherubym Well-Known Member

Logan isn't a coastal area. I'm also looking into Logan area and after cash flow properties. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the growth. It's a very low growth area.

11. Inov8ive

No it's not coastal but I am looking at the northern part of Woodridge so its pretty much Brisbane and only 25mins to the CBD so its very much suitable to tenants that work in Brisbane.

12. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

On the last 12 months growth in Logan. Early last year, you could pick up low set brick and tile places for around $240,000. Now they are selling for around $290,000.

Highsets were around $270,000 and now getting $320,000.

Decent increase considering at 88% lend, most of these places only cost $50,000 to purchase.

In terms of growth, it really depends on the period you look at. If you are looking at 2009 to 2013, the market dipped and only starting to recover to the levels of 2009 now.

Going back one cycle, I know several forumites who did very well from Logan.

Cheers,
    Michael

Last edited: 25th Aug, 2015
    Phineas, Magnet and tegs77 like this.