Cash for holding deposit

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Bendigus, 11th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

Lets supppse the loan against my ppor is 200k that's fully offset and I'm wanting to use this cash for the initial deposit of 5% or 10% of an IP.

In an ideal world I have already split the ppor into two loans. But I haven't done this yet.

If I used the cash sitting in the offset then the bank is able to refund the initial deposit and include it in the new investment loan.

From a tax perspective if the bank did this is new loan fully tax detuctible?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Im not tax guy, but sounds like you are reimbursing yourself.

There are ways around this though which I expect your tax adviser can help with and have a trawl through some of Terry W tax tips on this forum - im sure he covers this exact issue and how to fix

ta
    rolf

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No

Use the money to pay down the loan and reborrow it.
    This will cause a mixed purpose loan, but after settlement the loan can be split.

Tax Tip 5: Reimbursing yourself - Impossible Tax Tip 5: Reimbursing yourself - Impossible

Tax Tip 9: Don’t use Cash in Offset account to Invest Tax Tip 9: Don’t use Cash in Offset account to Invest

Tax Tip 44: How to Un-Mix a Mixed Loan Tax Tip 44: How to Un-Mix a Mixed Loan

Tax Tip 53: Paid Deposit with cash - how to fix big mistake before settlement Tax Tip 53: Paid Deposit with cash - how to fix big mistake before settlement

Ethan Timor likes this.
  4. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

Thankyou Terry. I suspected that would be the case.

I'll read through those links later today