Carriageway rights and mailbox placement

Discussion in 'Development' started by Anonymously, 25th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously New Member

My neighbour has repeatedly removed my mailbox. It has always been located on the boundary between the driveway/carriageway and council land. The neighbour states he owns the land which is classified as a carriageway; my property can only be accessed through this carriageway. Without the mailbox my house cannot receive mail and cannot be identified, especially in case of an emergency. Suggestions please.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You may need to refer back to the conditions of the DA and subdivision (Australia Post requirements) to show your neighbour the approval for the placement of the mailbox.

If you don't have it, you need to get it through council.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Depends on council, when it was subdivided and what was stipulated in the DA.

For example, how does your property get electricity and water/is there an easement?
    If there is an easement for services you could argue the point, as mail delivery could be considered a service.
    But the neighbor is likely right, a carriage way is to allow access without stopping over their land to your property !

Why can't your letterbox just be on your property where you access ?

I'm in Sydney so it doesn't help, but the postie and everyone else has to pass 3 other properties to get to mine....
    It's a PITA, every week I have to drag the bins all that way in/out, and most often have to go stand on the street waiting for any food delivery as they can't find my place :confused:

Edit, Your quick today @Scott No Mates
    Merry Christmas

datto and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd go check with council. They control where the letterbox has to be placed in accordance with Postal regulations.

I know someone who lived at the back of a battle axe block. He moved his letterbox from the front of the driveway (close to the footpath ) to the rear of the driveway (closer to his front door). Just for convenience and also make it harder for junk mail to be delivered.

Wasn't long before he was told by council to move the letterbox box back or get a fine. In your case, I'd be telling council to give the neighbour a fine.

Here is a linky from Post Office regarding placement of letter boxes. These are national rules.

Anthony416 and Stoffo like this.
  5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Check the property title (a title search will cost about $20). The title will delineate private and common property and/or right of carriageway. If it's a "modern" development it's more likely to be common, rather than a right of carriageway. If the original designer/subdivider wasn't canny, you might find that the neighbour is correct. Some developers/subdividers actually provide a location for letterboxes etc
    Having said that, if it is a right of carriageway and not common land, you can "occupy" the area (ie place your letterbox) provided you don't block the access (ie right of carriageway)

Sackie, craigc, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann n Phil

Ann n Phil New Member

I have a similar problem with a carriageway on a rural property I just bought. The neighbour has removed the street number from the gate and moved it 200 metres to the start of my property where it can't be seen from the road. The additional dilemma is I don't have a mail service. . . and have a two week wait to hear back from the local council. I'm wondering if I could put a mailbox on the edge of the road for no other reason than having something to direct people to my address.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Put a sign with 1m high numbers on it down your driveway. Add a solar flashing light.

lixas4 likes this.