Carpet Price and Quality

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by legallyblonde, 26th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Hey All,

I was contemplating new carpet in my IP as the current carpet is pretty ugly and it is so old the underlay is horse hair (apparently people would pay for my carpet and underlay as it would have been made in england)! I got a quote for carpet and the prices varied greatly!

I did not end up proceeding as I was told the carpet at the cheaper end of the scale would probably need replacing in five years and the nicer carpet with warranty is a bit expensive! I would usually have shopped around for nicer carpet for cheaper, but there is not that much competition down my way and I was running out of time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on economically choosing carpet? I have no experience with carpet lifespans ect... Other than my current little shack that I am living in is carpeted with carpet from my childhood home and is still in okay condition after 18 years!

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Tenants own rugs/mats on attractive low maint vinyl planks is the better option.
    Food/drink etc spills can easily be wiped up (+pet urine etc, even if their not supposed to have one), no issues with people stepping straight out of the shower into hall/rooms
    Also accommodates anyone with allergies etc

Kael, Beelzebub and legallyblonde like this.
  3. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I just got a qoute from Carpet Court .. Downstairs and including stairway and 2 bedrooms and lounge room, blue color , "Calypso" is their cheapest, qouted me $2280 plus $280 to rip up old carpet and takeaway .
    Not sure if i should get another qoute but $2500 sounds reasonable , BUT im thinking of just steam cleaning the current old carpet AND letting tenants have house dogs etc and putting rent up ... I think better idea.

legallyblonde, Beelzebub and wylie like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I've just put carpet in two properties. One was 3br, 2 hallways and a lounge for $3900... Carpet is fairly durable and has a 10 year warranty.

Other house I got carpet through Bunnings for a fixed price per room ( It varies depending on quality you chose). I paid $500 per room I think - I think this carpet is better quality than the carpet I got through the carpet shop.

WattleIdo and legallyblonde like this.
  5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

So do you think some sort of timber look flooring all the way through? even in bedrooms?

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat... Can be more flexible with pets ect with old carpet.

Obviously something to reconsider if my current tenants don't want to stay.

Wow that carpet is affordable! Decent warranty too.

7. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

I had 3 bedrooms and a living room done for $1500 through Bunnings. Decent carpet with decent underlay. They ripped up the old carpet but I disposed of it through a council pick up myself.

With Bunnings though, I've been told that they outsource their carpet installation side of things to a carpet laying business in each area. When I went there, they had to contact the outsourced business before I could get a quote.

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I am thinking thatĺ the warranty means nothing as usually when carpet falls apart its just wear and tear. Can imsgine the carpet company simply rejecting your clain

9. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I got bunnings carpet put in our ppor and a IP. From memory it was a flat fee for installation we got about thirty stairs, hallway and two bedrooms. For about $1150. That was with the cheapest underlay and one of the better carpets though.

10. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

As i said before Carpet Court qouted me $2286 for downstairs plus upstairs 2 bedrooms including stairway and lounge room plus they wanted another $250 to remove the old carpet ... This is their "Catalyst" colors .dont like the green lol looks like it has mould on it .i was going with the blue.

I may go to Bunnings and see if i can get another qoute .

Attached Files:

WattleIdo and legallyblonde like this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

For rentals you would typically look at polyprop or solution dyed nylon. I would go with SDN every time as its far better wearing and cleans up very well.

Shop around for specials as you can get some great deals. I did my PPOR in a good SDN with upgraded underlay (stops bunching) for around $3000 which was 5 bedrooms + cinema room, with removal of old. I use Kruger Carpets in north parramatta for carpets.

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I remember bunnings used to have and maybe still do a flat fee per room for carpeting, which I guess depends how big your rooms are it would work out quite Ok, I did the maths on one and it didnt come out too bad

also, this is a photo I took a few months ago at bunnings,25.66 / sqm underlay and installation included, pretty cheap to me ,

[​IMG]

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Just discovered/remembered another one while vacuuming;
    Furniture indentations, room looks ok when furnished, especially during inspection, but remove the furniture/vacant it looks crap.
    Then the new occupant places/arranges the room differently etc.
    Eventually they soften, they don't come out with a steam clean.
    (Not my carpet, I'd never have a light color)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Just had some carpet supplied by bunnings, they have a deal starting from $410 per room 'any size' got my 5x7m room done for $410 plus trims :D! If using them there will some conflict/definitions of 'any room any size' as they might want to count one large room as two living spaces, apparently a room is not defined by walls, they told me to google it...! Anyway worth giving them a go but a word of warning it will be a slow process as they are very busy with this offer, you pay $99 in store to book the measure and quote, wait about 2 weeks for the carpet office to call you to book a time for the measure and quote, then it took over 3 weeks to have the measure and quote completed, then another 3 weeks to get the carpet laid, then another 3 weeks for the tax invoice to be issued........... (VERY SLOW process). :mad:

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I'm looking at replacing carpet for two bedrooms about 20SQM each in Sydney. PM has got a quote for $1200 for replacing the two rooms (didn't say what type of carpet) - assume this stock standard polyprop is this a reasonable cost?

Also has anyone got any recommendations for carpet replacement in Sydney? Cheers.

16. Tony Fleming

That's a pretty good price if the quality is good. If you pulled up the old carpet yourself it would probably be even cheaper :)

David Shih likes this.
  17. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Thanks TDK. I would like to but unfortunately the carpet is partly moulded so given I used to have asthma I'll have trouble surviving in that environment :(

Tony Fleming likes this.
  18. Tony Fleming

Faircall :) good luck with it all

David Shih likes this.
  19. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It sounds about right for a decent brand. Maybe find out which carpet they intent to use though.

David Shih likes this.
  20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Kruger Carpets at nth parramatta

David Shih likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.