Carer Allowance - Frail Aged definition?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by coins, 19th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Looking at: Carer Allowance - Rules for carers - Australian Government Department of Human Services

It says to qualify for a carer allowance you must either provide additional daily care for someone because they either:
    • have a disability or severe illness
    • are frail aged.
    The problem is there's no legal definition I can find on that site or via Googling as to what qualifies as frail aged or severe illness. At lease with disabilities I've found something on a government site: Guide to the List of Recognised Disabilities | Department of Social Services, Australian Government.

Does anyone know what the government classifies as frail aged or severe illness or has a link to what it covers?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

3. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Terry_w likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I received a carers allowance for my late husband who had Parkinsons Disease (from memory $50 per week). First of all the person who needs to be cared for has to be assessed and this begins with a visit to their doctor who will confirm that person needs help - after the assessment a decision will be made on how much help is needed, it could be part time or full time e.g. someone who is disabled and needs 24 hour care for which the you receive the full carers allowance.
    Obtaining a carers allowance depends on medical evidence and the assets/income of the person who needs care.
    PS Not sure if the NDIS has changed these arrangements however whichever way you go an Assessment is the first step and an assets/income test is part of the process.

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2020
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Centrelink is the first step and they will provide the medical assessment details for practitioners to document any history and treatment plans and needs. Starting with a Doctor delays this. One danger is applying while in a hospital. The hospital can use the assessment and refuse further care unless its medical treatment and they can instruct you to depart !! This means a aged care facility is one of the few options if any care is needed. Hospitals wont release to family in many cases.

Centrelink will determine what rules apply and if required refer to NDIS. Remember NDIS requires a disability not a medical problem. All are accompanied with assessments of conditions and income and assets. NDIS deal with the persons needs IF its covered. eg Aged care related issues are specifically excluded at any age if they are services covered by the Aged Care Act and persons aged 65+ cant apply for NDIS

6. balwoges

Wasn't my experience ... :)

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I have read this paragraph several times and still not sure what is meant!

Are you saying that a diagnosis of ‘frail’ would prevent the hospital treating a patient?

Or are you saying that a diagnosis that a patient is not frail would prevent a hospital treating a patient? And then they would instruct the patent to depart the hospital?

Though surely being frail isn’t the same as needing to be hospitalised so it makes sense that patients who don’t need hospital treatment would be better off at home or in an aged care facility if they prefer.

When you say ‘hospitals won’t release to family in many cases’ I imagine you have experience with this.

Can you provide more details as I can’t see how a hospital would be able to do this.

8. coins

coins Well-Known Member

Is it a must to sign up for a MyGov account to claim Carers Allowance? I remember reading Paul@PFI warn about creating a MyGov account all government notices or something like that will go there and if you don't read it then you might have some potential issues.

Edit: found Paul's warning thread: My Annual MyGov Warning

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I get an email in my nominated email account notifying me if I get an email into my MyGov account.
    I then log in directly without using any links.

10. balwoges

What some people dont seem to recognise about applying for a carers pension is that there has to be someone who needs that care - and THAT person has to be assessed, first by his/her doctor who authorises an assessment by a team of people who visit THAT person to assess their needs. In my case I had to wait for 2-3 weeks before the team arrived.

On the basis of that assessment a carer is nominated either part time or full time dependent on the needs of the patient.

Centrelink paid my $50 per week [Cheaper than putting my poor husband in care]

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2020
    Kassy and Joynz like this.
  11. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Wow a whole team. How many people in the team? Must cost the taxpayers a few hundred dollars at least to send out a team of people to assess one person.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I can’t see how else can the government be reasonably certain that the pension is justified - and also that the person is getting the health care support they need.

Many members on this forum get pretty vicious about any perceived ripping off of public money!

balwoges likes this.
  13. balwoges

My assessment team consisted of 2 people [see definition of 'team' = two or more people]

14. Paul@PAS

Mods... This thread is just stupid. End it please.

15. Paul@PAS

No. Please don't quote me in stupid posts.

Tip another person can't apply for benefits
    My Gov is NOT Centrelink...

16. balwoges

:D:D:D