Career as Qualified Property Investment Advisor

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by yy87, 28th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yy87

yy87 New Member

Hi, I am new to the forum and have the following queries on the career prospects of Qualified Property Investment Advisor (QPIA) as there are very limited news or information on this career on the website. Essentially I would like to know the career prospects, scope of work, average remuneration package of becoming a QPIA in NSW? I have enquired on the course of becoming the QPIA and it would costs about $3000 to complete the QPIA online course. I am wondering if anyone here is a QPIA or is well known of the career prospects who can share your experience with me, for my reference/guidance (before I go ahead and attending the course)? Many thanks!!!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its not a regulated membership that grants approval to work in industry. Licensing may still be required. (REA, BA etc). The qualification is a certification that you belong to a industry group. The industry qualification may be the first step if you want a career. A REA license may also be needed !!

Other industry requirements are listed against each of the possible work types. Its missing one...Spruiker.....You can still be a spruiker and join loads of industry groups. In time they may punt you if you breach the code of conduct however.

More job specific info is found under job types....
    Property Advisers
    Personal Advisers

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

This course doesn't give you the qualifications necessary to be a buyers agent or real estate agent. The QPIA is not a requirement for those professions, its not really recognised by anyone as far as I know.

My understanding is the QPIA is trying to bring a certain level of recognition to property advice. I've met a 2 or 3 people described themselves 'property advisors' that hold membership. I was not impressed. Unfortunately those individuals mostly selling off-the-plan rubbish via seminars which in my opinion is the opposite of what the QPIA should stand for.

I suggest trying to find a profession somewhere in real estate that interests you. Figure out what is required to get into that role. Once you've done that, consider if the QPIA would be of benefit.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Could be useful for people wanting to run investment advisory businesses/seminars etc to add a level of legitimacy.

I looked into it a while ago but saw not a lot of relevance to what I do, as I am not giving advice on building a portfolio or retirement on property strategies etc

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I looked into it too - decided to do a real financial planning qualification instead.

6. yy87

yy87 New Member

Noted with many thanks, guys!