Car stacker maintenance cost

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by lftg, 21st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lftg

lftg New Member

I'm looking at an apartment with a car stacker - wondering whether anyone has real numbers on what the annual maintenance cost might be, and any unexpected repair costs. I've heard horror stories, but I also wonder if some are just fine. This is a two level stacker with a spare space that you drive into. Thanks!

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Avoid!!!!!

3. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

An example: Around $400 admin fund per year for car park lot but no maintenance levy yet maybe because of warranty?

The users/tenants may need to pay for an induction to learn how to use it. Not sure how much.

4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

depends on the make and developer, australian who says avoid have no idea, if you live in newtown/potts point surry hills etc etc. you dont have much choices, europe and asian been using this for ages. like all electronic if its well look after its fine like a lift.

i would prefer car lift over stacker tho... also size makes a difference, some stacker dont allow for cars over certain weight/size.. just incause u own a ford f150 or something.

5. lftg

lftg New Member

Thanks everyone, appreciated the new information. From what I've heard, I think there have been some bad situations with car stackers that have made people very wary of them (understandably). But I am also getting the idea there are lots of different stackers, and possibly some without problems. And they are seem quite prevalent in some other places (thanks King3o0o) But I've found it hard to get much info from people who actually use them!

6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be that worried about small units that stack a few cars...

But I have seen ones in Sydney CBD apartments that stack like 100 cars ... and break down. The inconvenience is the issue not the cost....

7. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I manage quite a few apartments with stackers (one on top, one on the bottom) - overall very few issues BUT I will say it does limit your tenant market as only certain size cars can fit on them and there's a lot of people that hate stackers.

I've got less with lifts, the main issue with these in larger blocks is it can take a while to get in/out during peak times as they can only carry one car at a time and they tend to be slow.

Stoffo likes this.