Car Damage driving into a huge pothole at night

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Simpsons, 28th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Simpsons

Simpsons Well-Known Member

(NSW) Just an hour ago I was driving in the main street of our local area at night when I drove straight into a huge pothole which I couldn't see. It made a big noise and the car sunk deep into the pothole as it went through it. Something is now definitely ruined in the car, as when I let go of the steering wheel, it immediately turns the car towards the left.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Does the RTA have any liability and need to pay for the car repairs or is it bad luck to all the drivers who ruin their cars driving into massive potholes?

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2022
  2. Simpsons

Simpsons Well-Known Member

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I always thought if the council was aware of the hazard then they are liable.

Get a mechanic to check your front end. Hopefully it’s only a steering alignment problem.

Sackie and Stoffo like this.
  4. trunks

trunks Well-Known Member

It's probably a bent control arm which should be easily fixed. Must have been a deep pothole

5. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Flat tyre?

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Insurance claim.

The Y-man

Beano likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My money is on a wheel alignment. $70 repair.

Islay likes this.
  8. The Y-man

Could be on a lowered VT with 20" rims and rubber band tyres :D Probably cracked the alloy rims, punched the strut through the mount, lost the front bumper and dam, scraped half floor off :cool:

The Y-man

craigc, Morgs, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I feel like crying.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

That's the rub......
    Council need to be made aware of the pot hole so they can then fix it in a reasonable time.
    If someone has reported it to council and it isn't fixed they are liable for costs.
    But how do you find that person or prove the council were notified (local Facebook) ?

datto likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There has been a lot of legal commentary in media about this issue. NRMA and RACQ were both reporting a few weeks back cases of tyre, wheel and suspension damage in the many hundreds of cases daily where normally its a few a day. Council cant possibly identify all road damage and then safely send workers to fix it. They would need to have known of the issue, and also be unwilling and not make reasonable efforts to attend to repairs. Bitumen cant be filled and compacted while a surface is wet and worker safety is paramount. Many holes presently open appear to also be the very same ones filled after the last rain a few weeks back. Proper repairs will be sometime and filling is a bandaid.

Like all driving issues, all drivers need to take care and expect that road conditions will be rain affected. I have one near my home that would have been more than half a metre dia and a depth of around 200mm or more. A sinkhole. It was filled but has reopened yesterday. A tradie had sprayed fluro marker paint around it which helped drivers. This morning they were filling it (again). In the rain. It will probably be back as a hole later today. .

Redwing likes this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Given the recent heavy rains and floods, it will be many months before all roads can be fully repaired.

And it is always a balance between road conditions and the way the car is being driven.

13. The Y-man

14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

datto likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

It's now affecting my sleep pattern. Might have some orange juice lol.

17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

'Instant blow out': What are your rights if you hit a pothole and damage your car?

18. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

19. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

CIVIL LIABILITY ACT 2002 - SECT 45
    Special non-feasance protection for roads authorities
    45 Special non-feasance protection for roads authorities
    roads authority is not liable in proceedings for civil liability to which this Part applies for harm arising from a failure of the authority to carry out road work, or to consider carrying out road work, unless at the time of the alleged failure the authority had actual knowledge of the particular risk the materialisation of which resulted in the harm. (2) This section does not operate-- (a) to create a duty of care in respect of a risk merely because a roads authority has actual knowledge of the risk, or (b) to affect any standard of care that would otherwise be applicable in respect of a risk. (3) In this section--

"carry out road work" means carry out any activity in connection with the construction, erection, installation, maintenance, inspection, repair, removal or replacement of a road work within the meaning of the Roads Act 1993 .
    Roads Act 1993 .

Key sentence: "unless at the time of the alleged failure the authority had actual knowledge of the particular risk the materialisation of which resulted in the harm."

Actual knowledge - discussed in
    North Sydney Council v Roman [2007] NSWCA 27
    and if I recall correctly, the officer in charge or decision maker must have the actual knowledge of the issue, not just the lower ranking staff members or someone at the counter taking complaints.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Local pothole repair.
    CA07F63D-F757-40DC-83A8-AD2951D2FC90.jpeg