Cars & Motorbikes Car accident

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Excalibur1, 8th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Well, the January 2018 Choice magazine that just arrived is interesting. Among other items, it covers travel insurance, FinTechs for borrowing money, Solar panels, and a test on Dashboard cams. For the Dash cams, only 2 of 23 models were recommend - these models are DOD LS470W and Vicovation OPIA2. Of the 2, the DOD LS470W model seems the better buy - cheaper, and better scoring.

Perthguy, Excalibur1, Beano and 2 others like this.
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It is completely possible that the bumper support bar (my term) was damaged with no apparent damage to the outside bumper.

This happened to me. Plastic bumpers can compress and then bounce back, damaging the metal bar underneath, which then needs to be replaced. Though 2,000 plus seems steep.

And they are still scammers!

Excalibur1 likes this.
  3. jim1964

jim1964 1941

This is correct,passengers, family members, whatever, excluded!!

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You are correct. Someone backed into us and our repair bill was going to be around $2k from memory. A few plastic clips had to be replaced (unseen until crash repairer looked under the hood), and insurer recommended repairer wanted to replace our whole front plastic bumper. We took it to a local repairer and asked how much to fix the small dent/hole, clips, things that "had" to be fixed that were hidden. We asked the young man who backed into us fix us up for the things that had to be fixed, which he did happily and we didn't make a claim. I've kept this photo in case our insurer ever claims we have been driving with a damaged car.

So, crash repairers are in it to make money, and scammers want their car fixed and you never really know if they caused the damage or are using you (your insurer) as a scapegoat.

Our insurance repairer wanted to replace the whole front bumper (the really expensive part of the quote) but we were happy to let this very nice young chap off the hook, took enough to cover the "real" damage that did need fixing, and live with this little bit of damage. I didn't want to ditch the plastic bumper for this. What a waste, but I understand those who are car lovers would likely have done so. I've blurred my reflection (that isn't paint damage). Just a tiny hole. fullsizeoutput_2f0d.jpeg

Propagate, Gockie and Stoffo like this.
  5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

LS470W $249 on ebay

Perthguy and Excalibur1 like this.
  6. wylie

I like the idea of getting one of these. I'm guessing some would buy two, back and front? If someone hits you from the back, the camera at the front would show you being pushed forward but you wouldn't get the number plate.

And am I correct that if you don't get the numberplate (if they don't stop) you have to pay your own excess?

And in my experience, if they do stop and you don't take a snap (or the details written down) of the address on the reverse of their DL means you don't have enough information. At least that was the case for us. Luckily we found the young man via FB and were able to get his address (but we didn't end up claiming anyway).

7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

You will find you'll have to pay your excess until you can provide all these details of the other driver (provided they are at fault):
    - Full name
    - Address
    - Rego

8. wylie

Yes. Didn’t make it clear that we had everything else we needed except hubby didn’t turn his licence over and take a photo of the back. Had we not been able to get in touch with him via his uncle via FB we would have had to pay our own excess (had we claimed).

Police or Dept of transport would not give us any details, even though we had copy of front of licence. Luckily he was an honest young man and happy to pay us a small amount to fix what “needed” fixing and not bring either insurer into it.

9. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Wowww never thought so many people have been in similar situation.

I started looking into Dash cams now. I will definitively get cam for the car.

I know where they live, I could go and take photos of the car now, but dont know if that will work or stand up in court if it does get to that stage.

I will check with my panel beater friend if it is possible to take the photo of the inside of bumper to see if any damage was there. At this point I would rather pay private investigator to do all this.

Still annoyed about all this.....

My friend suggested that their panel beater is claiming that it costs a lot more than it does then they split the money. Apparently this is not unusual to happen when insurance company is paying. Even more frustration.....

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Also when you get the other person's contact number, call it straight away and see if it rings.

11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

It won't go to court. You're insured, they're insured. The two insurers will work it out amongst themselves.

You're turning this into something it's not. Don't waste anymore time, effort or money on this. Let your insurance deal with it. That's one of the reasons you have insurance.

That's not how it works these days. The other party will have to take their car to their insurers assessment centre. Their insurer will then authorise what repairs are needed. eg - new licence plate, new bumper, lights, colour matching etc. Insurers know roughly what this all costs and will not pay for anything 'a lot more'.

Anyway, it's not your problem.

Perthguy, Tom Rivera and wylie like this.
  12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's quite intimidating being in an accident, especially for the first time, and sometimes you don't really know what to do. I recently had a young kid run into me with a small Hyundai and push my little VW into a much bigger VW...! The kid was only 17 and the driver in front was a new Mum who was panicking about bub -poor thing- so I took charge and got everyone's details, though I wasn't really sure what I needed. I also called my insurer (AAMI) who was absolutely HOPELESS, and very rude (Disappointing, because their sales team had always been excellent).

It was all going well until the kid who ran into me started to try and accuse me of stopping too close to the car in front, because he was worried about paying two excesses (all three of us insured, lucky!). I actually saw the kid coming in the rear view and braced, but my foot fell off the brake in the impact... oops. Fortunately when he realized it was only one excess regardless, and a couple of witnesses came to my defense, he piped down.

Funnily enough, the rear end repair on my car was only about $400 and the front end was $5,500....!

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Tom Rivera - I'd be taking that car back asap! They've put the engine in sideways :eek: