Car accident destroyed part of IP fence - what next?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by MrCarnegie, 21st Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MrCarnegie

MrCarnegie Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker of Somersoft/PC forums.

There was recently a car accident outside my friends IP that damaged a portion of the picket fence surrounding the property. We are wondering whether he would be able to claim the whole fence to be replaced or just the portion that is damaged?(The entire fence isn't too long). He believes it would be difficult to get it looking the way it used to if only a portion of it is fixed as it's quite severely damaged.

Anyone else had a similar scenario occur for them?

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Depends on your insurance policy wording. Some policies are better than others, some cover fences some might not. I don't know much about fences, but I know the policies can vary substantially in kitchens. For example most insurance companies if there is a fire in a kitchen and it damages only part of the kitchen they will closest match to existing - so if your laminate colour is superseded your kitchen is going to look odd - there are two insurance companies I know of that will change the doors/benchtops of the entire kitchen so the entire thing matches. So chances are with a fence I would be saying they will only fix the damaged section if they cover it at all.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll find out shortly.

Just had a tenant advise that neighbour's courier truck hit the fence too :(

4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can usually claim full replacement cost

5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Hi there Mr. Carnegie, Welcome to Property Chat,
    Could I suggest,
    1.make a police report.
    2.Get an incident number.
    3.Forward this info to the insurance.
    Did they mount the kerb? Is this happening a lot?
    4.Have there been changes to the design of the street?
    5.Consider notifying the council or main roads
    I hope this helps,
    Cheers

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

If the neighbour's courier truck hit the fence, can your friend contact the courier company and report the incident and request they repair the fence?

7. A Jeremy

A Jeremy Active Member

This happened to one of my properties.

I made the claim and because I was a licenced carpenter I told my insurer that I would be quoting on the works and I don't think they even sent any of their builder's around to quote. I submitted my quote and they agreed on the amount.

I had to provide the insurer with the police report number. A couple of months later I received an email from the insurer of the driver asking if I wanted to make a claim so I passed on these details to my insurer and a month after that I received my excess back.