Closed Captcha problems

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Paul@PAS, 26th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have an issue with the captcha system ... Its way too difficult to read one of the two words. I have never encountered this before. I would be lucky to get one out of ten attempts. This hampers new users joining. Can Captcha be simplified so its stops bots but still allows humans ??

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Jun, 2015
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I just used the default Captcha choice we have when I set it up because I didn't have time to try any of the others.

You're the first person to report this problem - but I'm not a fan of Captcha based systems in any case, so I will look into it.

The million dollar challenge is to have a system complex enough to defeat increasingly clever bots, while also being user-friendly enough to not stop users from registering.

Even the custom Q&A type systems that we used on Somersoft cause no problems for bots - there is software out there which lets spammers submit the answers to these Q&A systems to share them with other spammers, so all it takes is one person to collect the data and then all the spammers have access to it.

I'll try some different systems to see if I can find something better.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've tried a couple of the other inbuilt captcha systems, but wasn't really happy with any of them.

So for now, I've gone back to the Q&A style captcha we used on Somersoft. It won't stop the determined spambots - but hopefully my other systems will stop them.

2015-07-10_11-53-51.png