Capitalising PPOR expenses

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by chylld, 10th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

That can be claimed as per normal.

2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Using your numbers, the scenario would be a choice between using $100k from the offset for the renovations, vs using $100k from a LOC. Both would result in 5% non-deductible interest whilst the property is still a PPOR.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

You didn't actually state that you had $100k in your offset. I had to fish around to see if you had access to the funds but were wanting to borrow just to get a deduction. The OP was deficient in details.

It would likely be better to leave it there and renovate later when you want to convert to an IP and save yourself a pile of non-deductible borrowing.

When its withdrawn then effectively you have interest deductions in relation to this. It could be used for the reno or you could borrow a further amount for the reno as an investment redraw.

4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

The OP was deficient in details about calculating whether or not it would be worth it, because it wasn't asking about that in the first place. The OP just asked which expenses can be paid with a LOC in order for interest to be tax-deductible at a later point.

The property is currently my PPOR, and I was interested in doing some renovations to improve our quality of life while we're still living here. Again, non-deductible borrowing now with the aim of the same borrowing becoming deductible in the future.

5. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

But a DCF analysis shows that bringing forward private consumption with borrowings substantially defeats future tax deductions.

6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Versus paying for said private consumption using PPOR offset cash?

7. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Same thing for offset.

You would not have incurred the (non-deductible) interest expense if you had left cash in the PPOR offset account.

8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Soooo given that my question was whether to fund the expense using offset cash or LOC funds, your answer is to not have the expense in the first place?

9. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Investment 101.

Defer personal consumption.

If you think that a reno will increase future rental yields then it may be better just prior to actually renting.

Bringing the reno forward for personal enjoyment will incur short term non-deductible expenses and defer future tax deductions and rental increases. You will have to weigh that up against the 'value' you get from living in a renovated home as your PPOR in the near term.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yoda (Chylld) talks in the third person does it. Careful of Rob he is a master of the light sabre.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Strategy - Defer obtaining a QS report to defer asset depreciation until its an IP.

12. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Ummm ....

If YOU incur the construction expenditure then YOU must retain your records for claiming future depreciation & capital works deductions.

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

You appear to be answering questions no one in this thread has asked. This thread is about how to pay for renovations, not whether or not to do them in the first place.

That was in response to Rob referring to the "Original Post":

14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Who ever suggested otherwise in the first place?

15. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

You question related to the ability to claim future interest expense deductions on borrowings to renovate a PPOR today.

The answer is "probably" for capital construction and depreciating assets.

However, the the real monetary (present day value) benefits will rapidly decease if the delay in becoming an IP is very long.

16. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

I response to Paul's suggestion of using a QS report.

17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Yes that is what my accountant has said as well.

This is where things become subjective and dependent on what each person aims to achieve from a renovation. If it is purely for increasing IP yield (e.g. adding a carport when I don't have a car myself) then yes, it is best left until the property becomes an IP. For other things though (e.g. a new bedroom, where I really could use the extra space) there is a lifestyle benefit that can be realised off the spreadsheets.

This thread is about the future deductability of interest in the latter scenario, hence why it was posted in the "Accounting & Tax" forum.