Capitalising Interest

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Mark Laszczuk, 7th Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

In regards to capitalising interest, is it possible to do this indefinitely? As in, does the interest need to be repaid yearly or can it just be capitalised for the life of the loan (however long that may be)?

Mark

2. Mark__

Mark__ Member

Hi Mark

I assume you are referring to a margin loan in which case it is treated as a LOC and as long as the loan to value ration (LVR) is within limits, as set by the lender, the interest can be capitalised at 'infinitum'. Remember lenders want you to grow your debt as long as you can service it.

Mark

3. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

So what individual investor scenarios should be present to make capitalising interest on a Margin Loan the preferable structure option? ie. under what circumstances is this a smarter thing to do rather than simply pay the interest when it falls due?

:)

4. Medine

Medine Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,

Some mortgages will let you capitalise interest. Usually these are Lines Of Credit (LOC).

With a mortgage you can only capitalis interest until you meet your credit limit, regardless of the current LVR.

Cheers, Medine

5. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Excellent! Thanks Mark and Medine.

6. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

These are a couple of questions I find very relevant to my case, and unfortunately I don't have the answers.

But I sure as hell hopes someone does......I'd love some ideas, or views, or answers :confused:

Thanks to all,

Jayar

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I did some spreadsheets on capitalising interest ... and the answer as to whether this is a sensible thing to do long term depends greatly on the returns you are receiving.

Remember how powerful compounding is for building wealth ?

Well, when you are capitalising interest, you are compounding your COSTS, hence they grow very quickly ... and unless you returns are high enough to cover those costs, you will find yourself going backwards very quickly. Care is definitely required.

When I get some time (*sigh*) I might put together some more spreadsheets that show what can happen in various scenarios if you capitalise interest.

I'll leave the discussions of principle to others.

Someone care to suggest some "general rules" for when capitalising interest might be a useful tool ?

8. D.T._

D.T._ Well-Known Member

When you're pouring the distributions into non-deductible debt? ;)

9. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

or when you are using the distributions to fund lifestyle :)

10. Andrew__

Andrew__ Member

When the underlying growth of the asset is keeping up with the debt growth.

andy

11. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Yes.......I guess this is the obvious one isn't it Dave. :)

A few factors to consider........the fact that generally speaking, most of the income you receive from Distributions will be taxable...........what sort of 'buffer' you are comfortable with between 'return' and 'costs' etc.

May I suggest as a possible future Article by one of experts, 'An Idiot's Guide to Capitalising Interest as Part of an Overall Investment Structure', and I'll be the first to read it. :D

12. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

And I'll be a close second !!!!! :D

Jayar

13. gad

gad Well-Known Member

And I'd be very close behind !!!!! :)

14. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Sim - would be great to see a spreadsheet ... this would help visualize some scenarios.

I am terrible with Excel ! :(

15. Davidr__

Davidr__ Member

Until Sim' or other more adept member has a chance to provide a more thorough spreadsheet, I have roughed up a very crude one showing capitalised interest on a margin loan situation.

The yellow cells are variable. The blue make calculations.

I set it to make all yield paid as quarterly distributions. The sheet takes this off the balance of the loan, thereby reducing debt.

Of course to show how the loan will grow if you use the distribution for other purposes (e.g. lifestyle), set the yield to zero.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    David.

Attached Files:

16. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Thanks David.

17. hillsguy

Thanks David.

It would be great to also see the Margin Loan debt rising on the same sheet. Would this be difficult to add ?

18. Davidr__

Davidr__ Member

No worries HTL. The figures shown over the 20 years are how the different interest rates and distribution payments effect the Loan.

So if you set Yield to zero, this effectively makes no payments on the loan. You will see how quickly capitalising interest will compound and the debt will get well out of control. Which is:
    If you meant something else, in the words of one of our colourful ex-senators, "..please explain".

Cheers,
    David.

19. hillsguy

Daviddr, spent some more time analyzing some numbers. I got it now ! Not for the faint hearted ...

Got to love the power of compounding ! :D

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia