Cant match the original floor tiles

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Angel, 25th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

All the floor tiles are in perfect condition in a 14 year old home but part of the hallway was carpeted and is in very poor condition.

We want to know what to put in the "family" house ip in the hallway. We cant match the exact same floor tiles that are in the rest of the kitchen/family rooms and the front entry. If they would not be butting directly onto the existing tiles, I would just buy the current stock, but the colour and texture difference is noticeable. The Henley house has carpet across the lounge room and hall which needs replacing. In order to not have to replace all the carpet at the same time (disruption to tenants), we are thinking timber flooring just in the lounge room and hall and do the bedrooms when they eventually vacate. Or could we do a contrasting tile design like in Mediterranean houses just in the hallway and replace the lounge room carpet at the same time as the bedrooms?

Do you think there will be too many different floor coverings across what is a large home, four bedrooms and a study. We don't have to replace anything immediately, we are thinking about what to do. It would be nice to tidy it up straight away but the hall runner can do for now. The children are still young.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hall runner for these tenants, then reconsider when they leave.

Then, timber flooring in the hallway, or tiles in a different colour in the hallway. Or vinyl planks which I hear are very durable.

A contrasting colour would work fine as hallways are high traffic and it's sensible not to have carpet.

Propertunity likes this.
  3. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

Tile shops told me not to try to match as it would look like you tried (but failed). said to buy a tile in same measurement and separate with a border. Didn't love it when I did it but got used to it. Plan to pull up whole house including bedrooms and tile one day

Attached Files: